Two

Nesta:

Glasses and goblets clinked, bursting laughter filled my sensitive ears. I shook my head to rid of the noise, at first it worked but then it only grew louder. A gurgling growl erupted from my stomach, an acidic churn twisted around my insides.

Instinctively, I braced myself against the bed post. It wasn't my power, just hunger. The laughter grew louder, as did the knives cutting against vegetables and porcelain. A distant headache formed in the back of my head.

My stomach growled again, this time louder than I had ever heard before. "Curse you," I muttered to myself, staring down at my abdomen, covered in a jade chiffon dress. My sleeves came down to my wrists, trimmed with embroidered golden leaves. It was my first time wearing a color other than black—since the war. Since everything changed...again.

I tilted my head trying to remember when was the I last time ate. It's not that I didn't eat anymore, I just didn't eat with company. I raised my chin, straightening my back and headed towards the dining room.

They were all there, all enjoying one another's company—even Azriel had simpered as he passed a plate of what looked like green beans to Elain. The room hushed, even Elain silenced herself when I trudged closer. I hadn't seen some of them for weeks...including Mor, not that I wanted to see her any sooner than necessary.

Rhysand, with an unwavering smile, gestured towards the empty seat saved for me. "Nesta, I'm so pleased you could join us."

I froze in place when my eyes caught sight of him. The darker than night hair, the devious curve of his lips and his unnaturally beautiful hazel eyes.

"Did you get bored spending all that time alone?" Cassian asked in a silvery tone, the corner of his lips twitching as he held back all his saved-up insults. He lifted an engraved silver goblet to his full lips.

"Loneliness is far better company than you," I retorted, edging to my seat between Azriel and Feyre. I sat down as graciously as I could, feeling all eyes bouncing between me and Cassian.

"Let the games begin," Amren announced before sipping her crimson drink.

My eyes shifted towards Amren's glass. The acid in my stomach burned but I kept my composure.

Amren pulled the glass away from her scarlet lips, "don't look so startled, it's only red wine."

I didn't acknowledge anyone, not even my sisters, in fear it might bring forth another unwanted memory. The empty plate in front of me magically filled with all the items on the table. While they were taking turns on healthy seconds, I could feel my mouth water as I breathed in scents that didn't belong in my world, my old one that is. The conversations continued as I picked at my food, attempting to not look too eager.

"Not eating?" Feyre asked in a hushed tone, making sure only she and I could hear. I looked at her and then at Elain, both sitting quietly, neither touching their food as they waited for my reply. I was happy they looked so well, considering the circumstances.

I took my knife and fork, cutting into a roasted potato first, "no," I replied cautiously. I ignored further conversation and thankfully, no one asked what I had been up to the past several weeks. My eyes flickered up to him, catching the glowing hazel across from me.

Cassian hadn't looked away from me since I entered the room, both of us in quiet conversation of stabbing insults. I ignored the opening and shutting of his lips. My hands wrapped tightly around my fork and knife, aiming for the steak. I punctured and sliced the marbled meat. Blood oozed out onto the ivory porcelain, staining and drowning the remaining vegetables on my plate.