Twenty Four

Cassian:

My shoulders sagged, stretching my new leathers. The old one unfortunately didn't fit quite right—not to mention that the back was charred to a fucking crisp. The loss of my wings stained my soul, literally parts of me were gone. Parts, I've come to realize, that I had relied too much on.

I didn't have the power of winnowing and now I no longer had the ability to fly. I felt utterly useless, a feeling that rocked me to my core.

But I would get over this hurtle, like the many before, I would make this twist of fate my bitch.

I hurried to the front door of the townhouse, my heart thudding louder with each step. Seeing her was the best part of my days since I woke up. Even in a coma, she still lifted my spirits—it helped that she wasn't busting my balls. Surprisingly, I missed that about her though.

Sometimes I imagined her waking up with the deadliest glare. Her hair in a mess with those piercing blue eyes and the first thing out of her mouth is, "you self-sacrificial bastard." But she would break that cold demeanor the moment I kissed her. She'd slap me and it would be worth it.

"Cassian!" The door flung open before I could touch the handle. Elain's eyes looked past my shoulder, she knew I was in front of her but unsure of where my face was located.

"Is everything alright, Elain?" I asked her tactfully, raising my elbow and guiding her hand to my arm.

Elain's sing song voice was as cheery as I had ever heard since she lost her sight, "I need your assistance to the dining table."

A delay in seeing Nesta but Elain was my sister, a soft spot had grown since I met her. Maybe it was witnessing a new way of looking at the world from her serene point of view or that Az was falling in love with her—denying the whole thing as he plummeted down.

I guided her to the dining room, full with our family—all but Nesta.

Before anyone could get out a word out, I turned on my heel to charge up the stairs.

"Eris is up there," Feyre stopped me dead in my tracks. "He needs more time, Cassian."

I closed my eyes, tilting my jaw to the left. I couldn't hide my irritation after today—after hours of delivering horrible news to victims of a war I led.

Azriel winnowed beside me, his hand resting on my shoulder, "you need to eat."

I stared at him, observing the weight in his eyes—the truth of his words. I obliged, sitting between Elain and Feyre. Before the soup touched my lips, my stomach growled, breaking up the heavy silence.

Amren laughed first, the tiny little devil thought that of all things was funny. The other's joined in, somehow triggering more laughter. Eventually we quieted down, side conversations took place while I focused on the delicious soup.

It was just what I needed. The spices, the smell—it was comforting.

Everyone watched me as I continued to eat, their behavior odd as hell. Not all that unusual but watching me while I eat?? Can they not?

"What is it?" I demanded.

Mor asked calmly, her eyes darting to my bowl, "what do you think?"

I slurped another spoonful, "it's delicious. Bea has outdone herself."

"It wasn't Bea," Rhysand replied, his watchful eyes resting on me.

I could feel my brows nearly touch as I set the spoon down, staring at the bowl then back up to Rhysand.