Eighteen

Nesta:

I adjusted against the wet floor, unable to stay asleep. The fabric of my tunic provided little cushion between the stones and my ribs. I exhaled heavily, hoping my worries would flee with my breath. Usually Feyre's lullaby would put me right to sleep but I couldn't get the echoing roars out of my head.

"Do you need a distraction?" Eris asked faintly.

Awkwardly shifting into another uncomfortable position, I gave up, lying flat on my back. "I'm fine," I lied.

Eris began to sing in a language I had never heard. His gruff voice transitioning into something otherwordly.

I tilted my head towards him, opening my eyelids just enough to not seem too interested.

Fire danced from palm to palm, a story to match the flow of his hymn. Amber eyes watched me through the rising fire, no doubt observing my lack of stealth. Flickering flames lit his face, dancing shadows unveiling his many masks.

Staring at the little fire figures, my breath hitched. Two amber bodies, hand in hand as they walked through a burning forest. I swear I could hear their laughter as Eris continued singing. Entranced by the two beings, I turned on my side to get a better view.

Entangled within one another, I could hear their passionate moans. My damaged cheeks tinted red in response. Howls in the distance spooked them. The figures quickly stood, leaving their clothing behind as they raced through a maze of foliage.

My eyes glanced to Eris, a single tear trailing down his face. I looked back at his hands, at the breathless creatures he held so tenderly. The wolves closed in, launching towards the smaller figure first.

His voice cracked, another tear escaping his long lashes as he watched the pack surround them. The song grew darker, shifting to an ominous tone. The wolves edged closer; my heart erratically beating as I heard their pleas for mercy.

I wiped the tears from my eyes, knowing all too well what was to come next.

But the wolves disintegrated, a different picture being created as he twitched his fingers upwards. I stole a look at Eris, he was focused on his palms—his voice thickening. The bodies of fire slowly danced from one hand to the other and back again.

I found myself utterly attached to his foreign words.

Before the song ended, I felt myself drift. Even as I tried to pry my eyes open to watch the ending—I couldn't stay awake. One more glance and the silhouettes had slowed to a stop. They were barely moving, wrapped up in one another to form one large flame in the center of Eris' palm.

My aching heart softened, the rhythm matching that of his song. I let the darkness swallow me. Sleep welcoming me with open arms.

The hallway seemed longer than before or maybe it was just the anticipation that slowed my steps. I needed to see what I had done. I needed to witness the aftermath of my burning rage. I quickened my pace, pausing just before the doors of the library.

I held my breath, carefully pushing the doors open.

Exhaling quickly, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. The demolished library had been fixed. Lacquered shelves nailed to their original place; hundreds of books replaced. No trace of the carnage I had left behind yesterday.

I grinded my jaw, the unnerving feeling of being watched tingled the hairs on my neck. I ignored the warning signs, the smell. Instead I headed to the right side of the room, towards the section of poetry I had shredded just before the end of my undoing.