His Family Doesnt Like You

She was nervous and he could tell

She was nervous and he could tell. They had been dating for eight months when Harry asked her to live together. He bought them a house in LA, she wanted to stay in America and LA was the compromise. His family already hardly saw him and so when he made the move they weren't happy.
Then Anne read somewhere that Harry had paid off her loans, and he had. Anne had read that her son paid for the mortgage on the house all on his own, and he had. Gemma had read that her brother bought her a car, which he had, but none of them knew that she refused the car, the loans, the house.
None of them knew how much she hated that Harry gave her everything, and she could give him nothing. They all saw her as a gold digger, which was far from it. She worked hard to pay off as much as she could before Harry got a hold of her loans, she hid the bills, she did her best. But Harry snooped and found them and paid them off, it was one of their biggest fights, but no one knew. Because if she complained she seemed ungrateful, and if she didn't she was seen as a gold digger, she couldn't win.
He did buy their house, but she helped out. She paid bills, she paid for groceries and furniture, she really did try. And when Harry bought her the car she stood her ground, he claimed her 2004 Ford would only take her so far, and she reminded him as long as it took her from point a to point b she would be fine, when she had to reach point c they would talk.
So when their house was all set and it looked just how she wanted, Harry asked to have a house warming party. He wanted his friends to see his new life, he wanted to show off the house, the cars, but more importantly he wanted to show her off.When his family heard they offered to fly out, they wanted to meet the girl he moved across countries for, they wanted to meet the girl who was draining his bank account.
Harry could tell she was nervous, she stood next to him, her hand gripping her glass. She insisted on not drinking and settled for sparkling cider, she was never much of a drinker and she didn't want to risk being buzzed or drunk in his families presence. Harry squeezed her hand, his free one gripping his beer, his friends and her friends were all gathered around in the house and backyard. The grill was up and running and Niall offered to be in charge.
"You'll be fine Y/N, I promise. I love you how can they not love someone I love?" Harry smiled, his thumb rubbing circles on her palm.
She took the last sips of her cider and set the empty glass down, "'m not good when I meet people," she mumbled, "I get all shaky."
"You'll be fine, they're lovely people," Harry chuckled.
"I know they raised you," she smiled, going up on her toes to kiss his cheek.
"Harry!" He heard his mother voice call, when he turned from his spot on the deck he saw her.
Anne stood by the door with Gemma, a wide grin on her face. She rushed over hugging Harry, Gemma followed her actions, "thank you for flying us out," Anne says, "we just left our stuff in the living room Jeff offered to take it up stairs, he's a wonderful man."
"Yeah," Harry agreed, "mum, Gem, this is Y/N," Harry tugged on her arm lightly, pulling her in front of him.
She smiled softly, "hello," she says gently, "I'm Y/N it's so nice to meet you."
"Anne," Anne says, her voice isn't as soft as it was when she talked to Harry, it was slightly cold and she didn't enjoy the way Anne's look seemed to have hardened as well.
"I'm Gemma," Gemma faked a smile, holding out her hand.
She shook it and the clamped her hands together, "how was your flight?" she asked.
"It was fine," Anne's answer was short and simple.
It was silent and the air felt different, she peeked up at Harry, "Y/N just got accepted to the medical program at Stanford, in just a couple of years she'll be a doctor," Harry says, wrapping his arm around his girlfriend.
"So I assume you'll be working all the time to pay that off?" Anne asked, her eyebrow raised.
"Oh-well-I got a scholarship-and uh some-"
"It doesn't matter," Harry cut her off, "baby will you get me another beer? This one is warm."
She nods, "would you guys like anything?"
"No."
She turns making her way to the kitchen. She grabs the beer, taking in a deep breath. When she composes herself she walks towards the door but stops, Harry stands on the other side, his back to her as he talks to his family.
"I just don't get a good vibe from her Harry," Gemma says softly.
"She just wants money," Anne whispered, "how can you not see that?"
"No she doesn't-"
"Harry if a guy paid my loans, bought me a house, a car, medical school, and clothes I would stay with him as well, she likes you for your money," Gemma says, her hand resting on Harry's arm, "her intentions aren't good. I'm sure she got into Stanford because of you, she's using the benefits."
"You guys don't know her," Harry snapped.
And he was right, they didn't know her. They didn't know how she worked three jobs to save up to try and be the one to pay for their bill, they didn't know how stressed Harry was every night you had a late shift. They didn't know how much effort she put into school, into work, and then to come back home and help Harry cook. They didn't know how Harry watched her fall asleep at the dinning table after she had worked, gone to school, worked another shift, and if she beat him home she would cook. They didn't know how all of winter break she spent it working because she wanted to repay Harry for the loans and when she tried he refused.
"I have money, I have so much I don't know what to do with it, I paid your loans Gem, I have everything I need, I hate watching her work all the fucking time to pay off something I could do in a second. I hate her working three different jobs so she can buy a damn dress to show up to one of my parities when I could buy it for her and she can spends that time with me rather than serving some strangers in a diner or working at a clothing store," Harry stated, "I love her and that's why I do it. She doesn't ask me for these things, I do them because it makes her less stressed. I do it for her."
"Y/N is using you," Anne whispered, "and now she's taken you away from your family. Harry honey, I've been your age, I've been in love and I was blinded by it. Please just take a minute and think about it, really think about it."
"She's a gold digger," Gemma says.
And that's when she's break, the small sob that had been forming in her throat leaves her mouth, her hand reaching up to try and muffle it, but they all turn. She quickly turns, pushing through people and running up the stairs to their shared bedroom. She turns, locking the door behind her and pressing her back to it.
"Y/N," Harry says softly, knocking on the door, "baby, please let me in."
"I-I just need a minute," she sniffled, "I-uh-I spilled something."
"Y/N I know you heard," Harry says, "please open up."
She pulled open the door and Harry pushes it, forcing himself in. He frowns seeing her in the state, her eyes red, cheeks pink and puffy, tears are evident and she reaches up wiping them quickly.
"We should go back to the party, I'm a little hungry," she whispered, pulling the end of her cardigan and wiping the under parts of her eyes, "if my makeup smudged?"
"Baby," Harry says, reaching for her, "I'm sorry. They have no idea what they're talking about."
"Please don't," she pulls away, "I just need-Harry it's your family. I can't come in between that I just-I can't."
"They'll come around," Harry says, "I'll talk to them. Don't-I know what you're trying to do."
"I can still apply to live in campus and maybe this will give us space-"
"No!" Harry yelled, running a hand threw his hair, "please. Just-y/n baby, please don't say that."
"Harry-"
"Just give it time, I can talk to them, they can see the real you, not the you the media portray's," Harry pleads.
He reaches out for her once more and she doesn't pull back. His arms wrap around her and she rest her head on his chest, "I love you," Harry whispered, "and that's all that matters."
"I love you too," she whispers into his shirt, "so much."
"I know," he nods, running a hand through her hair, "I know baby."
They stand there, enjoying their embrace. Until she pulls away, tugging at her dress, making sure she looks decent, "we should go back," she says, "I should probably take out the dessert so people can start to wrap it up."
"I'll talk to them," Harry promises, "I love you."
"I love you more," she giggled, as he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind her, "Harry we have to go back downstairs!"
He rocks her side to side, picking her up, she laughs, "Harry!"
"I just want you to go downstairs in a good mood," he admits, setting her down, but keeping his grip on her, "why don't you go help Niall huh?"
"Okay," she nods.
They make their way downstairs and she walks towards Niall at the grill. Harry leans against the wall watching her, "Harry," Gemma says, walking up to him, a beer in her hand, "can we talk about this."
"If you and mum are staying here, in our house, you will follow or rules," Harry snaps, turning to the two of them, "treat her the way you want to be treated. You want to be cold towards her? Fine, but that will only create distance between us."