Part 5

You felt like shit and it wasn't because of the hangover

You felt like shit and it wasn't because of the hangover. Well, partially it was because of the hangover but also it was lasting for weeks so you know it wasn't just the hangover that put you in a constant bad mood. Kendall had picked up on it but you were only working with her for one more week before you went off to invest your time fully in your new fashion line.
The company who had brought you on to support your line was a newer fashion empire being built over the course of the past year and you were excited to be a part of them.
"I'm excited to come and see your big office," Kendall said excitedly from where you were both sifting through new dress options in the new collections that had been sent to her apartment. "Can I model for you?"
"Duh. Of course."
"When your company is in Fashion Week can I be a model in it?"
"I literally just say yes, Kendall," you chuckled and sifted through a box of bags from Coach. "This one's nice," you said, holding up a small red tote.
"Take it," Kendall nodded, "One of many going away presents for the fine job you've done over the past three years."
"You're so sweet," you chuckled, leaning over and kissing her cheek. It was odd to think you wouldn't be spending time with Kendall almost every day from now on. Your life had revolved around being a part of her family for so long that you didn't know how you would cope.
"Now you can come to parties with us and we'll all wear your clothes. It'll be so fun," Kendall sighed, "Even though you damn well know you could have come to all our parties with us before."
"Just didn't feel like it," you shrugged, "But thanks for the many great years."
Kendall rolled her eyes, "You're family," she said, "And don't you forget it."
Two weeks later and you were rolling out material in plans of making a lavender ball gown. Your office was large with sewing materials galore and your designs up on flat screen TVs everywhere. The company promoting your line - HOLS Fashion - had supplied you with the sweetest workers and everything was going along as if it was a dream.
Today was the day Kendall was coming to visit and even though it had only been two weeks without her, you missed that crazy girl. But all those feelings went away when you heard a knocking on the glass. You turned from cutting material to see Kendall and Harry standing on the other side of the glass wall separating your workshop area from the elevator.
When Kendall saw you looking, she gave you a huge smile and waved frantically, pointing around you and mouthing, "What the fuck?!"
You laughed and walked over to open the door for them, giving her a hug and a nod to Harry as they walked in. "Damn girl!" Kendall cried, "This place is massive! I love it! You have the whole floor?!"
"Guess so!" you chuckled and spread your arms out, "You like it?!"
"It's amazing!" Kendall cried, "Amazing!"
"Well come see what I'm making for you." You grabbed her hand and pulled her over to one of the flat screens, grabbing your iPad as you went. Connecting the iPad to the TV, you flipped through multiple sketches of a boho style creamy white dress that went down half the thigh and had long swooping sleeves.
"Oh my gosh," Kendall gasped, "Y/N I love it! It's so gorgeous! And you're making it for me?!"
"Consider it a going away present," you winked, "For all those great years of being your slave."
"It's very nice," Harry commented from where he was standing behind Kendall at a distance from you. You hadn't talk to him since the night three weeks ago when you'd almost kissed. It had been too much for you to process.
"And this is for you," you said to him quietly, flipping to the next sketch to show a coral tailored suit with dark brown stitching and maroon buttons. "I'd pair it with a dark brown tie then," you said, pointing to the unfinished part of the sketch, "And then I'd give you shiny maroon shoes to go with it with white laces."
"White shirt underneath?" Harry asked, taking a step closer to examine the sketch.
"Yeah," you breathed. You could see him in it and it took your breath away just from the sketch.
"I love it," he said quietly, "I love it."
"When you told me some fancy new fashion company had swept up your deal I didn't know it was HOLS," Kendall said, breaking you from your thoughts. "Harry, you didn't tell me either," she pouted.
"Why would you -" You started and looked up to Harry but he cleared his throat.
"I'm one of the ... founders of ... HOLS," Harry mumbled quietly, "Hawthorne, Olsen, Lawrence and Styles."
"You're -" Your mouth gapped open as you cleared your throat and shook her head, trying to get the new information from your mind. "This is your company?"
"I didn't want to tell you because I wanted you to take the offer," Harry mumbled, "We founded this company around seven months ago."
"Oh," you nodded, "Huh."
"Where's your bathroom?" Kendall asked, "I've had to go forever but I wanted to see everything first."
"Out the door and down the hall to the right," you said, taking her bag for her as you watched her jog out the door.
"So how are you?" Harry asked once Kendall had departed.
"How could you not tell me this was your company?" you asked.
"I didn't know you were part of it until Laura called me and said she was brining on another designer. Really, I had no idea. And then I found out it was you and I didn't say anything because you deserve this."
"Who's Laura?"
"Laura Hawthorne? One of the other founders of the company?" Harry looked at you questionably. "You've met her right?"
"Yes."
"Besides," Harry shrugged, "I wanted this company to be built off the backs of amazing designers with extraordinary minds and an eye for fashion who really love it. I want designers who think outside the box and don't make clothes in the frame of what's normal. And you definitely have an eye for new style."
"Thanks," you mumbled and crossed your arms, "Still wish you'd told me."
"What would you have done if I'd told you before, huh?" Harry asked while leaning against one of the work tables.
"Probably kick you in the balls," you said seriously.
"Well there's a second time for everything," Harry smirked and you both let out a quiet chuckle as you remembered the time you accidentally kicked him in the balls when he and Louis were giving you a soccer lesson.
"Good times," you chuckled.
It fell quiet between the two of you and Harry pushed himself off the work table. "Listen, about the other night -"
"It's in the past, as is the rest of our relationship," you nodded, "So what's done is done and we're done."
"Y/N ..."
"Those bathrooms are hella nice," Kendall said, coming back into the room and giving you a hug. "This whole place is hella nice."
"Thanks," you laughed, "I'm going to get back to work now but if you want to look around more feel free."
"I'm SO proud of you," Kendall said, gripping your shoulders and giving you a squeeze. "Really, I am. You're doing such great work."
"Thank you," you smiled at her genuinely, "And uh, thanks for letting me be part of your company," you said awkwardly to Harry as he nodded at you. You watched as they walked out before getting back to work, pulling out yards of material and consuming yourself in your work.
It went on like this for a couple weeks before one night when you were working late and your phone rang, startling you from your work as the pins in your mouth dropped to the ground.
"Great," you grumbled as you bent down to pick them up and took your phone with you. "Hello?"
"Hey girl," Kendall sighed, "What's up?"
"I'm working," you said while balancing the phone between your ear and shoulder, "Just dropped a bunch of stuff."
"Oh damn." Her voice was pretty unemotional and you felt yourself worry slightly as you stood back up, placing everything back on the workstation.
"Everything okay?" you asked, taking a sip of coffee and rolling in your chair back over to your computer.
"I broke up with Harry."
Her words hit you like a tidal wave as you almost dropped your phone and choked on your coffee. "What?"
"Yeah. I did it."
"Why? I thought everything was going so well?"
You heard Kendall sigh and could almost just picture her lying in her bed staring up at the ceiling and playing with her hair as she talked. "It just wasn't all there," she said, "I knew that I was trying to create some fantasy when I brought him back into my life. I have a feeling it wasn't supposed to go this far anyway but I just like the attention of having someone be my person that was my friend first, you know?"
"Uh huh." Your heart was racing as you listened to her talk and you felt your palms sweating. She was being so nonchalant about this compared to when you and Harry broke up. You didn't leave your apartment for weeks.
"And I think I was more happy with the idea of us all being together again, you know?" Kendall continued, "Like having my partners in crime all back together. But it definitely wasn't like that. I know you still have feelings for him and I can tell he does as well. But he cares for me too and that's why he allowed the relationship to go as long as it did."
"I don't have -"
"Don't lie to me. I know where you keep your favorite Kate Spade bag."
You couldn't help but let out a small laugh as you looked out over the night skyline. You were the only one still in the office at this point and it was far later than you had expected to stay. But work took your mind off everything else and everything else was slowly killing you.
"I'm sorry if my shitty attitude when Harry was around ruined it," you said, "I feel like this is my fault."
"No it's not at all," Kendall said quickly, "Harry and I have been friends for a long time, and if we were going to work out I feel as though something would have happened far before he even met you. But it didn't. And then he met you and things made sense. I've upset the balance. I should be the one apologizing."
"Please don't," you sighed, "It's neither of our faults. I should have been more honest about my feelings."
"And I should have been more compassionate towards your feelings," Kendall groaned, "We're shit people."
"We sure are," you chuckled, "How about I come over soon and we eat ice cream?"
"I think you'll be pretty busy," Kendall said, "But we can totally talk later after everything happens."
"What do you mean?" you asked, "I'm just leaving work now."
"Yeah well ..." Kendall trailed off and you got an uneasy feeling.
"Ken, what did you do?" You asked in a warning voice, standing up from your seat and putting your mug down.
"I swear it was all him," Kendall said, "I have to go now though, okay? Call me alter?"
"Kendall!" you groaned before she hung up. You placed your phone down on the table and groaned again, rubbing your hands down your face before you heard a ding go off.
Turning your head, you saw the elevator doors open and watched as Harry stepped out, walking quickly with long strides before opening the door with force and walking in.
"Y/N," he said, striding over to you and standing in front of you with heavy breaths.
"Are you dying?" you asked, offering him the bottle of water you'd been drinking from prior to getting coffee.
He put his finger up signaling to give him a moment and took the bottle with his other hand, chugging it and let out a long breath. "I ran," he said, "Up three flights of stairs."
"The elevators in the parking garage aren't working," you nodded.
"Yeah I got that now, thank you," Harry snapped.
"What are you doing here?" you asked, "Kendall just called and said you both broke up? Did you say something to make her think we still have a thing?"
Harry looked at you for a moment with large bewildered eyes and parted pouty lips. "Are you kidding? You're serious?" he asked, putting the bottle back on the table and stepping closer to you. "You're going to stand there and pretend that we don't have something going on?"
"I don't think -"
"Please don't finish that sentence because I might just lose it."
"What do you want from me?" you asked, "Now that you've broken up with Kendall you just think we're magically going to get back together? We weren't apart because you were with Kendall. We were apart way before that. Just because you're now newly single again doesn't mean we're getting back together."
"You asked me the other night to kiss you," Harry said, stepping forward and pulling you into his chest, "Just let me kiss you now," he whispered, "And we'll talk from there."
You barely had time to form a thought before Harry pressed his lips urgently to yours. It had been eight months since you'd last kissed his lips but they felt the same to you. They were warm and soft and rolled against your lips with such ease that it felt like second nature. You leaned into his body as he wrapped his arms tightly around your waist. He was leaning back against the workstation as you rested up against him, you arms folded between you both as your palms were pressed against his heaving chest. You stood between his legs, flush up against him, as the two of you kissed feverishly.
It wasn't the kind of romantic movie kiss most people expect from long lost lovers, but instead it was messy and full of teeth clasping and grasping of clothes as you clung to each other and worked to get as close as humanly possible. Harry turned you both around and lifted you up onto the workstation, standing now between your legs as his fingers dug into your hips and yours dug into his shoulders.
Harry was first to pull away as your foreheads rested against each other and he whispered, "I can't breathe," in labored breaths, "Shit I can't breathe."
It took you both a moment to regain your breathing as your continued to hold each other close. You pulled your head from the crook of his neck and looked up at him as he sucked in a breath. "Taking my breath away," he whispered, pushing the hair that had fallen in your face.
But you weren't ready to give in after one long kiss. You were tired of being too nice. You wanted answers and you wanted to speak your mind. So you pushed Harry away from you and jumped down from the workstation, planting your feet back on the ground before clearing your throat.
"You said you wanted to talk?" you asked, "I think now would be the time."
—–