2| "We Just Have to Try."

Aria

"Are you done?" she anguished after I put my full body on her and my elbow to her neck.

"I'll stop if you do."

"Not a chance in hell."

"Alrighty then. Have it your way." I continued pressing down though not too strong. I wasn't trying to kill her, I just needed to subdue her the way I learned back in the day. Thank god for those lessons.

She continued struggling as I held her still. Eventually she turned away and shook her head before growling over being overpowered. "Fine."

I let go and both of us simultaneously gasped. Hers was more strained while mine was mix of relief and terror. I just survived one of her encounters and unlike the last one, this ended somewhat better.

I hobbled my way inside before stopping cold in my tracks.

Uh oh, I gulped. I think there's bruises from the scuffle.

My eyes peered down at my arms which had some blood. I looked even further to see a few scratches which I couldn't hide much to my annoyance. In that moment, I pulled out my phone and kept my head bowed, which prevented others from seeing any marks left from the throw-down we had outside. Within seconds, I ducked right into the bathroom.

My heart raced uncontrollably again and I shut the door. Slowly, I made my way over with my jaw all slack and washed myself off. I ended up using a lot more paper towels than expected but it was worth it. It took a few minutes until I finally stopped to look at myself in the mirror where I nodded in a rhythmic manner while repeating the reassuring mantra. "It's just another day, Aria. Stop freaking out."

"Are you alright?"

"Whoa!" I jumped and had to catch myself only to see a familiar face standing by the doorway.

"Jaclyn!" I shouted after catching my breath.

"Sorry, Aria." she chuckled.

I did too while staring at one of the few friends I had. We hadn't seen each other in awhile so this was a nice surprise.

"But seriously though, what's going on?" she asked.

"Oh I don't know." I laughed in an unexpected higher pitch while touching my hair. "I'm just... I'm just having a rough day. I don't get it though. This is supposed to be our last year, right?"

"Uh-huh." she nodded.

"So why does this feel so off?"

"I don't know, maybe that's a sign," she suggested, "We won't have a first day in high school anymore and that's probably a good thing."

"Yeah." I nodded where the two of us were left in awkward silence until she pulled something out of her pocket.

"Hey, you know how I do work for the office?"

"Yep. What about it?"

"Well apparently you've been summoned to Normack's office." she responded while handing over the slip.

"For what?" I asked while giving her a skeptical glare.

"Knowing you, it could be an award?"

"Not a chance in hell." I brushed it off while we both broke out into laughter. "I may be smart but there ain't a chance that I would get class valedictorian or some shit like that."