19| "I'm Not Good With Apologies."

Elise

Homecoming was finally here. I laid in my bed with my eyes wide open. It just didn't seem possible. We literally began school for our senior year a month ago. Now we were through the first quarter. God, time goes by so fast.

I groaned and let my hands drip down my face before hearing a knock at the door. "Who is it?"

"It's Todd. Can I come in?"

Oh shit, I rolled over and rolled my eyes. "Sure."

He slowly walked in and rubbed my hair. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine."

"Elise, can you please–"

"I only stayed here for Dad and Chrissy." I told him, which made him stop feeling my hair. "As far as I'm concerned, you and our mother can leave me alone."

"We'll have to talk again at some point."

"We're doing that now."

"That's not what I meant." Todd clarified. "We will need to talk about what happened."

"Yeah, someday."

"We also should probably talk about how you've been."

"Oh, I do not like where this is going." I readjusted myself, sparking him to back up as I stared him down. "You are in no place to judge me."

"I'm not judging you, but I am concerned."

"Doesn't this sound familiar?" I rubbed palms down my face and chuckled. "God, it's like we're in the same spot three years ago and the roles are reversed."

"Hey, I'm not trying to make you feel like shit."

"Then don't." I rose out of bed and stood up. "Don't come to me with your concerns, don't project your issues onto me, don't tell me how sorry you are; I already know."

"You won't speak to me. How should I know?"

"Just take what I give back and move on." I shook my head and scoffed. "Todd, I'm not gonna forgive you overnight."

"I never said you had to."

"Really?" I tilted my head to the right and asked him again with a fake-ass smile planted on my face. "Mother keeps dropping hints and you do too."

"No, I don't."

"Alright fine, you send mixed signals." I reluctantly compromised. "It still feels like guilt-tripping though."

"I can assure you, that wasn't the intention."

"Well I'm sorry you feel that way." I walked past him to my dresser where I grabbed all my clothes for the day. "Maybe next time, try harder."

"Wow." Todd scoffed in a condescending tone. "Since when did you get so judgmental?"

"Since I realized that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows, you fucking dolt."