43| "The Beacons of Cheerful Procrastination."

Aria

"Why do you keep smiling like that?" Lyle asked, wrinkling his nose.

"Sorry, Lyle. I'm still getting used to the idea that you're really back." I beamed to him as we drove over to Johnny's house. "I just can't believe it."

"Yeah. I can't believe it either," Lyle said with a nervous chuckle. "Or that we explained the whole debacle with Principal Normack, who was kind enough to offer up all the help in the world."

"I don't blame him. You two were in a terrible situation."

"We sure were and it felt like an eternity."

"Did you miss us at all?"

"Every day." Lyle nodded.

The thoughts of what he had to go through on a regular basis made me cringe. According to what both him and Johnny had shared, it sounded more like Auschwitz than a rehabilitation camp.

We continued driving through the neighborhood where Lyle sighed, resting his head on the window. "I just realized something."

"What's that?"

"Dominic will be so mad at me."

"Dominic's not gonna hate you."

"How do you know? He probably blames himself for what happened which would always lead back to me."

"Not unless you cheated and even if you did, it's not like you two were a thing."

"True." Lyle chuckled. "But now we have to decide where this is going."

"Uh, you just got back."

"I know and if I've learned anything over there, it's that you fight for the people you love. Even if you know it's not right, you still have to find what's best for both you and them."

It was when he said that, my eyes shifted over and I saw what was really hiding beneath the surface. The sad, but beautiful truth. He wasn't all that in love with Dominic, he was in love with Johnny. He wanted Johnny Kane and that was perfectly fine. However, I knew what would happen if he didn't figure this out with Dominic and it wouldn't be pretty. Plus, I've really been enjoying the kinder side to Dominic. Who knew such a beautiful development could be wrecked by the nicest guy in our little group?

As we turned the corner, I cleared my throat and told Lyle. "Maybe you should tell Dominic the truth in private, sooner rather than later."

"That's the plan. I'm just not sure he's ready to hear it."

"Lyle, there's things we're all not ready to hear."

"I know, but I'd hate to think he'd be fine only to be proven wrong. I didn't think I'd still have recurring surreal nightmares let alone survive those five days in an isolated cabin yet somehow–"

"Do you think I'm judgmental?"

"Judgmental?" Lyle exclaimed with confusion.

"Yeah." I nodded. My timing was so damn awkward, yet I didn't care. "Sorry, this has just been bothering me for awhile now."

"I can see that."

"So, would you say I'm judgmental?"

"Well..." Lyle thought aloud for a moment. "You're certainly not one to beat around the bush."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm just saying, you're very honest like the rest of our friends, except they have a limit."