27| "I Will Bury You."

Johnny

"Whoa." I cringed really hard as this weird thought crossed my mind about Elise. It wasn't even noon yet and this weekend was already off to a weird start.

I came to an abrupt stop and tried catching my breath.

"Is something wrong, Johnny?" Lyle asked, panting hard upon arriving. He doubled over, wiping the sweat off his hair before letting out a giant gasp. "Wow, this is... this is intense."

"Hey, you wanted to this, didn't you?"

"Sort of." Lyle shrugged.

"If you want to be smoking hot like me, then you've gotta take it up a notch."

"Well, that's not my goal."

"It's not?"

Huh. That's shocking, I wrinkled my nose and frowned. During that time, Lyle clutched onto the nearest stop sign's pole and said, "I'm only trying to look good, but not so good that I'm seen as only a slab of meat."

"Oh, what's that supposed to mean? I'm like a juicy, walking beefsteak or something?"

"Um, not exactly. Er–"

"I'm just messin' with you." I chuckled and ruffled his sweaty hair.

He giggled with a little snort in between before nodding in agreement. "Ah, you got me there."

"I sure did."

Both of us found ourselves in a heap of satisfied silence. We went across the street and were almost back to my place. That was until Lyle stopped by this big oak tree where he turned right toward me. "But you still didn't answer my question."

"What question?"

"The one from before." Lyle gestured with his hands. "If you were okay."

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Eh, I don't know." Lyle shrugged. "You kinda shuddered about something."

"Oh, dude." I scoffed. "It was nothing."

"Really? Nothing you wanna divulge?"

"What does that even mean?"

"Well it means that you–Hey!"

"Race ya back to the house!" I cackled like a madman, sprinting down the sidewalk with Lyle desperately trying to catch up.

"That's not funny!"

"Yes it is!"

Our little chase lasted until he was out of sight. Probably lost in the midst of the mist. I mean it was a very long trek in this strange–Wait a second, the mist?

I turned around, staring deep into the fog before gulping.

Aw shit. I should go find him, I nodded and began striding into this thick fog.

"Yo dude, where you at?" I called out. No response.

I stepped in further. "Lyle?"