14| "I Can Lift Boxes."

Lyle

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked her once again. She visited me by the big oak tree outside where we talked about my problems first, now it was her turn. Normally I wouldn't cut class for any reason, but this was an exception.

"I don't know." Elise shrugged and blew her nose into the tissue I gave her. "We just... we had a moment and that's fine."

"He seems remorseful."

"He probably is." Elise nodded and put her hood up as the wind blew harder. "I really hope this isn't a ploy. I did a lot of research and he could relapse. He could be worming his way back in to fuel his addiction."

"Can you blame him though?" I scoffed. My eyes shifted around to see the grim grey sky before facing her again. "He's a troubled soul trapped inside the body of an addict."

"I know that."

"There's a whole other world nobody understands."

"Agreed," Elise said while she took a flask out of her bag much to my chagrin.

"Also speaking of addicts... you wanna explain why you're drinking at two in the afternoon?"

"Eh, no reason." Elise shrugged as she chugged it down. I could tell it was almost empty when I impulsively grabbed it and pulled away. She was far from amused. "Lyle, the flask."

"Elise, your health."

"Real funny." She scoffed and swiped for it. "Now give it back."

"Do you promise to at least not go so heavy the rest of the day?"

"Sure."

"Alright then." I reluctantly handed it to her and she smiled before downing the rest. I rolled my eyes as she finished.

"Thanks for being cool about this." She expressed with gratitude.

"Oh trust me, I'm worried too. I just can't afford to lose my people right now so I won't condone you–"

"Awesome." Elise exclaimed.

"I wasn't finished." I told her very clearly. "I won't idly sit by either. I'll take a drink to the face and a face to the...toilet, but a friend to the drink? Not on my watch."

"God, you're such a good guy." Elise touched my neck which made me jump a little. Her hands were practically icicles plus I was real sensitive there. It was a good thing barely anyone knew or else they'd get handsy all over where I'd probably end up laughing and blushing uncontrollably. People say it's cute, but it's also humiliating.

She laughed and then looked back at the school. "I bet you have class."

"I'm already ahead. It's not like I'll miss anything."

"It's still better than the rest of my day. I'm gonna head home soon."

"Well, I hope things go smoother."

"Me too." Elise sucked in her lips and nodded. "Thanks again for doing this."

"You're very welcome."