Lost

Ever since that day, Rin started to avoid us and not hanging around anymore. It's been a year since that happened and it never felt the same.

Me and Kent are currently just hanging around in our usual place on the open field, although it was never the same since Rin became distant.

"It's quiet boring today to huh?" Kent said as he looks at the dark sky.

"Yeah..."

"I wonder what is he doing right now?" Kent asked.

I shrugged as I close my eyes, waiting for the time for me to go training.

Rin still trains with the swim team of course, although even in the pool, he wouldn't talk to me or even bat an eye on me. As if we never knew each other for almost 3 years. As if we never even met.

I've done my laps and rested on my the wall behind me, looking at the lane where Rin is swimming.

After a year, he isn't anymore the lanky boy you see. Rin has grown taller and his body gained built. Even though I haven't been with him for a year, I can clearly see he's getting stronger and stronger.

"Stay away from me"

I splashed some water on my face, hoping to forget those lines.

"Stop it Kei, it's been a year now" I told myself.

I pushed myself up in the pool and put my towel on my head before looking at Rins direction. Where, surprisingly, Rin is in front of me.

"O-Oh- S-Sorry Rin- I didn't know you were--"

He freaking walked past me.

That freaking shark jerk.

"Rin" I called out, turning my body to face him.

He stopped walking and gave me a slight glance.

"Race with me later"

We were quiet, until I heard a small mumble of responds from him.

"Okay..."

Rin continued walking away, probably going to his coach.

I huffed and return to the pool, readying myself on the diving platform.

"I'll make you face me again, Rin"

I dived into the cold water.

After an hour, it was only me and Rin inside the pool grounds. We were looking at each other face to face.

Not being able to see his face a lot in a year, even his appearance changed. His face became matured and defined. Instead of having his signature smirk, his face has a frown as if he's been frowning his whole life. His hair grew alittle longer and his eyes became sharper.

Staring at him, I suddenly recalled I still have feelings for him. It's hard to think about love when the one you have feelings with pushed you away. Despite bailing out on us, a part of me wants to bring him back is old self. Now, that's what I want to happen.

The reason why I asked him for a race is to get him back. To stop pushing us away, me away.

I miss Rin. I miss his pleasing laugh and annoying smirks. I miss him daring to get my things and throw them out of the window or into the pool. I miss him being on our side.

I put a hand on my hips and gave him a smile.

"Been awhile huh, bud ?" I said, emphasizing the last word, because we used to be buddies.

He looked away for a second then return his gaze at me.

"Yeah.. hey"

I looked at the pool, pointing at the vast body of water then looked at him again.

"50 meters free style" I declared.

"What's the catch?" Rin asked "I clearly told you not to bother me."

A pang of pain hit me but I swallowed it down.

"Is it bad to ask for a race?" I said, giving him a hint of sarcasm.

He crossed his arms then just looked at me. Probably letting it slide.

"Fine"

Both of us readied our goggles and stood by the diving platform.

"Rin you better stop what you're doing right now... stop pushing people away" I said

"If I don't, I would'be made it this far"

I want to punch him right now.

"If I win, you better stop" I said, looking at him.

He positioned himself in his diving stance and I positioned myself as well. Both of us stood there in silence, only hearing each others breathing.

"Take you Mark..." I said.

"Go!"

Both of us dived, earning a splash as we started swimming freestyle.

With adrenaline spreading into my body, all I can feel is the water around me, my hands stretching forward and my feet kicking hard.

We quickly reached the other end and turned to go back from where we came from.

"You can do it Kei, alittle more, you can almost reach Rin"

I can feel myself losing my pace as we almost reached the finish line, I let out a frustrated grunt as I forced myself to continue the pace.

I slapped the wall right after Rin reached the finished like. I coughed in between my ragged breaths.

"I- I lost?" I said, still coughing.

Rin got out of the pool before I can get a glimpse of him. He turned to me saying,

"You lost..."

With that he turned back, leaving me there on the pool.

At first I thought it was the water from my hair but I realized it was tears trickling down my cheeks down to my chin. I put a hand on my mouth as I cry there alone on the cold water.

It's not only the race that I have lost,

I also lost Rin.