Chapter Eight.

P.O.V of Dick.

I woke up and went into automatic get ready for school mode; get dressed, wake up Jason, Tim and Damian then get breakfast cooking as they got changed so that it was on the table by the time they got down. Eat breakfast, entertain the team and my brothers and leave.
However that last part was disrupted by a resounding knocking from the front door.
"I shall get it." Kaldur spoke as he stood, "We cannot risk it being an attack."
No one argued and he left to the front door.
"Artemis, could you come out here quickly?" He called after a couple of seconds and my interest perked.
I followed her out as she went to the door and stayed around the corner listening to the conversation.
"We cannot let you in," Kaldur said, "I am sorry."
"Don't be sorry for her." Artemis sneered, "Send her to jail. Lock her up so hard she can never escape again."
"I'm not here to attack." A female voice purred and I instantly knew who was at the door.
"Auntie Selina." I called as I ran around the corner and embraced her.
"Hello kitten." She said, stroking my hair and shifting her green eyes to focus on me.
"I'm not a kitten anymore. I'm fifteen." I pouted moving away, "And I'm now the same height as you."
"Richard, you know this woman?" Kladur asked and I turned to face them, the rest of the team now converged behind him.
"Yes, as a matter of fact I know her very well." I replied, "What was the problem with her anyway?"
"It's because I'm-"
"An amazing person who just so happens to own a lot of cats." I cut her off, as a civilian I wasn't supposed to know who she was and I did not want to act that out, "It doesn't mean you're crazy."
"The crazy cat lady's here?" Jason asked and my brothers popped their heads around the corner.
When they saw her they all came running over, minus Damian who shared a mutual dislike with her.
"Are Harley and Ivy going to come as well?" Jason asked.
"They are arriving this afternoon." She replied.
"No." Conner growled and we all turned to him.
"Pardon?" Selina asked, making a show of her nails, which were metal, and looked newly sharpened.
"I said no." He growled, "We cannot have Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy in the house with the person we are charged to protect."
"I agree with Superboy on this one." Kaldur chimed in before any of us could protest.
"Fine," Damian huffed, "We'll be outside if you want us." And he took Selina by the hand and dragged her outside, surprising us all.
Jay, Tim and I followed him out to the looks of a bewildered team. We all sat down on the grass, our legs crossed.
"Why are you here?" Jay asked, breaking the silence.
"I heard about the teams slip up." She replied, "Harley, Ivy and I just wanted to check on you Dick."
"I'm fine." I replied, "Still in one piece."
"I know you are." She purred, "That doesn't mean the others are. They're going to be picking you up from school this evening. And Damian," She turned to face him as he nodded, "Can you bring Talia through when you return. It would be nice to see her outside the work environment."
"Sure." He replied, "See you 'round." And he walked back into the house and, most likely to Talia.
"We do need to get to school." I chimed in, "But thank you Selina."
"Always Kitten." She ruffled my hair and hugged Tim and Jay before slipping away.
We walked up to the door and found the rest of the team watching through the window.
"Time to go." Jay said and they all turned to us, but it was Wally who spoke.
"You can't hang out with her, we're charged to protect you and she is one of Batman's enemies." He said, "You do know who she is, don't you?"
"Yes, she is Selina Kyle." I bit, "And nothing you can say or do is going to change who she is and what she does to help our family." And turned on my heel and began the walk to school, Jay and Tim following like a trio of sassy gay friends.

School passed as normal, excel every class and have little to no fun. But at the end of the day, there was a bit of excitement. The class screamed as a round of bullets shot through the door and Kaldur, my english teacher, instantly went into protective mode.
"Everyone out the window." He said, ushering us all towards the back of the class room.
The door began to buckle then as whoever was on the other side began to start kicking at it. However, the windows were all sealed shut, trapping us and causing most of the class to panic, even Gertrude which made me smirk. Finally the door burst open and as it came down the silhouetted figure stepped into the room. Kaldur didn't give them a chance, now wielding his water bearers he leaped at them, taking them by surprise and as they were knocked to the floor a high pitched shriek emitted from the attacker.
"Wait." I shouted, running over and this distracted Kladur enough to allow for them to get a hit in, "No, stop."
They both looked over at me, "He attacked me first." Harley pouted.
"You're older, finish it." I smirked helping her to stand.
"Thank god you're still feeling okay." She enveloped me in a hug, "Talia and Damian are waiting outside. Selina's getting Tim and Ivy's picking up Jason."
"I wonder if they'll be as safe as I was with my hero here to protect me." I gave a look at Kaldur who was standing up and glaring at me now.
"I cannot let you leave with these women." He said, "I am charged with protecting you. Sending you off with some of the most wanted women in Gotham will not be fulfilling my duty."
"Blah, blah, blah." I said rather childishly, "You'll have to catch us first." And I dragged Harley into a sprint from the classroom, leaving behind a petrified class and angry Aqualad.
We reached the car with Talia and Damian as the last bell rang. The school began to file out, starting when they saw who was around the car and avoiding us with wide arcs. Eventually Selina came out with Tim and Ivy with Jason, which caused even more disruption among the other students. Of course, as soon as they were over the team had to run over to us.
"We cannot let you take them, as their guardians we are to keep them from harm and you would be putting them directly in line with it." Kaldur and the rest of them all nodded in agreement.
"It's our lives Aqualad." Jay said, "If we want to spend it with people we see as family we will. So have a good day."
With that we all climbed into the car and Selina began to drive away, leaving a bewildered team at the school gates.
"How was your day?" Ivy asked us all.
"Great," We all replied but Damian was the one to continue, "Mother and I took a trip to the court of Owls today, they won't be back in business for the rest of the night at least."
Talia gave a small smile and nod towards her son, pride radiating from her in waves.
We arrived at the house that Selina was currently occupying, just a normal two bedroom home, and went inside.
"Sorry if it's not as grand as you're used to." She said, closing the door, "But I find a more modest style is better for a wanted jewel thief."
"Jokes are not your thing." I chuckled.
We all sat around the fireplace on the floor, just talking about life in general. School work, the Assassin's, progress in fighting skills, and we even had a fighting match to determine who was the best, Talia won, but I was close second and Jason Jason came third. We were all snuggled under a blanket as the winter sun began to set when my phone rang for a video call.
"Everyone clear out, it's Wally." I said, fishing out my glasses.
"We'll watch from the door." Selina said, "If anything clicks in that small mind of his, tell us."
"Please don't." I replied, shrugging off my blazer as they left.
As soon as they had left I ripped off my top and answered.
"What's up bro?"