Late Night Encounters // C2

Word of the day: Serendipity
Definition: The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way

Penelope's POV:

I quickly gathered my school books into my backpack and dropped it off in the office that was at the back of the cafe/coffee shop. I pulled out the uniform that I hated so much and started to change in the bathroom. It was a white, long sleeved crop top with burgundy jeans, white ballet flats, and a black apron that had a bow. The crop top was a little too short which is why I always used my apron to cover it. I also threw my hair into the cross-over ponytail that was also uniform. I walked out of the bathroom and signed in at the register. 

"Make sure you clean the tables and stack the chairs at the end of your shift!" Noelle stated as she pulled out her ponytail.

"I know, I know and empty out the coffee machines" I stated as she smiled back at me.

Noelle walked over to me and whispered in my ear. "There is pepper spray and a button that alerts the authorities behind the counter if things go south late at night."

"Thanks Noelle" I stated as she grabbed her purse.

"Bye love!" she called out as she left.

My shift would last from 9 pm-2 am but I would have to stay an extra hour to clean up. I wasn't alone though, Thomas was another worker who was working the night shift with me. He wasn't really into girls if you know what I'm saying. The guys also had to wear burgundy pants and a white button-up with a black apron that didn't have the bow.

"So, how are you and Cameron?" Thomas asked as he started cleaning the counter.

"We're good..." I remarked as I went to refill the coffee machines.

"Nice? Do you love him, do you not love him?" Thomas pressed further.

"I don't know Thomas."

"What do you mean you don't know? You guys have been dating for like ever."

"It's only been a year."

"Which is plenty of time to decide whether you love someone or not."

"Yeah but I just don't know...he's really nice and super supportive but I'm not sure if he's what I'm looking for."

"Well you should make your mind up soon because he's a snack. I'm sure someone will scoop him up in a heartbeat" Thomas stated as two nurses walked through the door.

I glared at Thomas before returning my attention to the nurses, "Hi! Welcome to Hope Coffee Co., what can I get started for you?"

Hope Coffee Co. was named after my mom because her surname is Hope, which is also my middle name. I served the nurses and about 40 people after them before I realized it was rounding the 2 am hour.

"Good thing we work at a coffee shop, I don't think I could work this late at night without caffeine" Thomas stated dramatically.

"Yeah but I think it's better than being someone who comes here for the 5 am morning shift" I remarked as I started to empty out the coffee machines. "You can go, I know you have to teach in a few hours" I stated to Thomas.

Thomas was a college student that idiotically decided to put some of his peer tutoring sessions early in the morning on a Saturday.

"No, no...it's fine, I can help you clean up" Thomas suggested as he started helping me clean up. "It's not safe for you to be alone anyways."

"I'll lock the doors but seriously, go home and get a few hours of sleep" I remarked as I handed him his jacket and keys from the back office.

"Are you sure? I can stay and help"