Battle Rounds // C15

Word of the Day: Conceal
Definition: keep (something) secret; prevent from being known or noticed

Penelope's POV:

So, today was the day where I was finally thrown into The Voice world. I was heading to the studio because Gwen picked out a song and my competitor so we had a rehearsal today. I had been waiting for my battle round for awhile and today was finally the day where I get to go against someone.

I arrived in the studio where I found Gwen and Davina Leone at a piano. Gwen picked the song "In the Night" for us to sing, we rehearsed that song for a few hours before she dismissed us.

- - -

Throughout the week, I rehearsed the song several times and I learned that Davina is a nice girl. However, tonight was the night of our battle round and several others, I felt a little overwhelmed. I was told that my battle round would air on March 28th which was a few weeks from now, but that was irrelevant. Currently, I was about two hours away from my battle round and I was in hair and makeup.

"Hey babe" Cameron remarked as I tilted my head straight up. Cameron came up behind me and planted a soft kiss on my lips as my stylists stepped aside.

I crossed my legs on top of the makeup counter as Cameron pulled up a chair next to me.

"You look cute" Cameron remarked.

I looked at my ripped black jeans, white flowy top, and black hat... it was very casual compared to other contestants' outfits. I was very nervous right now so I started fumbling with a lipstick container while my stylists began on my hair. Cameron took my hand in his as an attempted to calm me down, and it worked. My nerves slowly settled as Cameron began to catch me up in all of the drama at school.

"Everyone is talking about you versus Tatianna, it's pretty crazy" Cameron stated.

"Hopefully it's all good things on my end" I replied.

"Well of course, everyone thinks that she's in over her head-"

"She did win her battle a few days ago."

"Stop underestimating yourself, you're wonderful! Besides, you have a Grammy and she doesn't."

I sighed, he was right, I had to be confident.

"So, have you seen Zach lately?" Cameron asked.

"Not since our tango class, why?"

I know what you're thinking, of course I told Cameron that I took a tango class with Zach. I just didn't tell him that Zach confessed his love for me again.

"There are a lot of rumors going around saying that he is in love with you" Cameron continued.

My heart sank, Cameron seemed hurt on his last words, I had to convince him that there was nothing going on between Zach and I. I suppressed my feelings for Zach further into a dark hole as I mustered whatever courage I had left.

"I'm sure they aren't true my love, you know his fans like to spread rumors" I mumbled.

I turned to face Cameron and held his hands.

"Regardless, I love you and I want to be with you okay?" I asked.

He shrugged, "I love you too."

I kissed Cameron as my stylists put finishing touches on my hair and makeup. I thanked them both as I stood up.

"I have to go to warm-ups, see you after" I stated.

Cameron kissed my cheek and wished me good luck as I headed off to warm-ups. Davina and I had separate warm-ups so I didn't see her until right before the battle. We wished each other luck before we went on stage and sang our battle. I'm not going to lie, there were some rough patches on my parts but it wasn't too bad for my first performance. The judges' complimented my singing but they did pick up on my rough areas.

"I think that both of you did really well but I think the winner should be Penelope. You seemed more confident this time and more prepared, if you can improve that much in a short amount of time, I can't wait to see how much more you improve for the Knockouts" Alicia remarked.

I smiled as Carson asked Gwen who the winner of our round was. Dramatic music started playing as Davina held my hand.

"The winner of this battle round is..." Gwen paused for a long time.

I felt like I was going to loose this round and go home, my stomach was in knots at this point.

"Penelope." Gwen stated.

Davina pulled me into a hug as Adam pushed his buzzer and stole Davina. She immediately crouched on the floor and started to cry tears of happiness. Gwen stood up and clapped as I walked over and hugged her. I went backstage and hugged Cameron the moment I saw him.

"Congratulations" Cameron he mumbled.

I smiled as Davina hugged me the second she came off stage.

"I'm so happy for you!" I cheered.

"Thank you so much!" she exclaimed.

My phone started to blow up with loads of messages, I walked off for a second to check my phone. It was a bunch of fans with conspiracies, I sighed and turned my phone on silent.

What am I ever going to do about Zach?
_______________________________
A/N: Sorry for not updating for awhile and I'm sorry for the short chapter. This is like a prep chapter for the next one and I'm sure you all have an idea for what is about to go down. Anyways, I love you all and thank you for being patient with me.

Penelope's outfit: