Effects // C19

Word of the Day: Friend
Definition: a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection

Penelope's POV:

Black, all I saw was black. I heard the steady sound of a heart rate monitor and the constant rush of people walking back and forth in the hallway. Why couldn't I open my eyes?

This bed, it is not my own, it feels stiff and not comfortable. Suddenly, I felt a hand in mine. Was it Zach's? No, he cheated on me when we were just getting together. I guess Zach just never told me that he wants open relationships, which was clearly something I didn't want.

"Hey Penelope", a familiar voice mumbled. "I know you can't hear me right now, but I want to tell you something."

It was definitely the voice of a guy's, my heart fluttered at the though of it being Zach sitting next to me. I mean he was behind me when I collapsed, so maybe he went to the hospital with me. Zach waited for a second, as if he was expecting a response before he continued.

"I am so sorry for getting with Tatianna. It was a very stupid, and childish thing to do". He sighed, "I hope you can forgive me because I love you, and I miss you."

Part of me was overjoyed that he wanted to be with me, but the other part of me-the part whose heart has been broken by her own parents many times before-chose to be skeptical. I wanted so badly to open my eyes and talk to Zach, but my body wouldn't allow me. Suddenly, the starry night began to pull me away from consciousness... and I willingly slipped back into a deep sleep.

- - -

When I woke up after some time passed, I wasn't sure how much, I was surprised to see Cameron sitting next to me. He still held my hand but he was sleeping. What time is it?

I looked to the far corner of my room and saw a clock. It read 2:16 am, I guess I've been out for awhile. Quietly, I switched positions to lay on my side, causing Cameron to wake up.

He looked around the room before he looked at me. I assumed he had forgotten where he was for a spilt moment.

"Penelope, are you okay? How do you feel? Are you hurt? The doctors said you were dehydrated and stressed", he said frantically.

I let out a soft chuckle, it was just like Cameron to harass me with all these questions.

"I have a huge headache, but other than that, I'm peachy."

Cameron let out a sigh of relief as I looked around the room.

"Where are my parents?" I asked.

"Business trip, they left a few hours ago and called me to take care of you".

A stab of guilt twisted into my heart, why would Cameron take care of me after I hurt him?

"And you came?" I asked.

"Of course I did, we were friends before we were dating right? We'll always be friends even if we aren't together romantically".

"But I hurt you..." I mumbled.

"And I dated Tatianna for a whole week, I think we're pretty much even".

Cameron and I both knew we weren't "even", I mean I broke his heart and he was with my enemy for a week. Regardless, he insisted that we were friends and I was more than happy to have my best friend back.

We stayed up for the rest of the night, talking and catching up with each other. I really didn't deserve a guy like Cameron, he is so kind and so forgiving.

And Zach was dead to me.

_____________________________
A/N: So this was a really brief and short chapter, it was just a filler chapter. I hope y'all enjoyed anyways though. Finals week is coming up for me, how are you guys coping?