The FINALE pt.2

Word of the Day: Release
Definition: allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free

Penelope's POV:

Three outfits, three songs, three chances to win votes. It was the day of the Finale...

I woke up feeling a sense of dread, after tomorrow night, my Voice journey will be over. Personally, I felt as though this experience has changed me as a singer and as a person. A sense of stability and certainty slowly faded away as I headed to the studio. My career and my social status could be forever changed after this. It was settled, I would not recognize the girl standing on stage tomorrow tonight.

Regardless, I had gotten into the mindset of giving it my all. Every drop of emotion and passion I had in my body would be poured into those three songs. The order in which I was performing them were: my duet, solo, and then my original. I quickly realized that my original song was the last song I would perform as the last attempt of gaining votes.

The anxiety I felt as I was called into warm-ups was unsettling. Alicia always called me early before I got into the dressing room in order to have a chat and warm my vocal cords. She was sitting on a bench at the piano when I arrived.

"You nervous?" she asked.

"Definitely".

"Don't worry Penelope, you've got this", she paused and placed her hands on the ivory keys, "you have grown tremendously as an artist during your time here and I could not be prouder... but I am worried about you".

Alicia began to play the piano piece that would go along with my solo. My heart sank into my stomach, Alicia was worried? Worried about what?

"Worried? Why would you be worried?" I stuttered.

She continued to play my piano piece quietly, "I've seen the passion and the emotion you can pour into your songs, it's one of the strongest things about your singing. The advantage you have over the other contestants is your heart. Even your fans adore you for the realism you enhance every song with".

"Really?"

"But that fire is nonexistent in your eyes tonight, I couldn't see it when you walked in. That makes me worried, so I'm going to ask you, as your coach and hopefully as your friend", she stopped playing the piano, "what's wrong?"

So I told her, I told her about Zach and Tatianna, I told her about my parents, and she listened to it all. I did not know why I did, but over the weeks I began to see Alicia as someone who I can trust. In addition, I also haven't confided with another woman in awhile, sometimes you just need the support of a fellow female.

"Come sit", Alicia said as she continued playing my piano accompaniment.

I did as she asked and joined her on the piano bench. With hesitation, I began to play the harmonies that went along with the piano piece. Together, we created a beautiful dance that highlighted the meaning of my song.

"Life isn't easy, you of all people know that", she began, "and while I respect you in ways that you will never understand, I have to ask... did you even give him a chance to explain?"

Cameron asked me the same thing, but it wasn't until Alicia brought it up that I fully comprehended the significance of her question. How could I get over him, possibly even forgive him, if I had not known the full story? Alicia continued to play as she looked over at me, my eyes said it all. I, Penelope Hope Montgomery, had jumped to conclusions before I got the whole story. It was something we were all guilty of, but maybe I wanted to hate him. I didn't want him to explain because somehow, he would find a way to be worthy of forgiveness... and I wanted to hate him for cheating on me.