Live Playoffs // C18

Word of the day: Bitter
Definition: angry, hurt, or resentful because of one's bad experiences

Penelope's POV:

The live playoffs are always one of the scariest things to do right after the knockouts. I mean when you really think of it, we go from 20 to 12 artists and that's haunting. In addition, this is the first week of public votes, which means that we basically get to find out who America loves. My only hope is that America finds a reason to keep me on the show. Furthermore, I was on my way to meet Alicia with ideas for a song to sing this week...

"Hey, Penelope! I'm so glad you're on my team" Alicia said the moment I entered the studio.

"Trust me, I'm so happy to be here," I said as I sat on a nearby chair.

Alicia moved some papers around as the band in the background began to get ready to play.

"So what will you be singing this week?" she asked.

"Who you are by Jessie J," I remarked.

"Oh, that's a lovely song! Why don't you give it a run."

I nodded as I cued the band to begin the piano solo in the beginning. I did a quick run through of the whole song and awaited feedback from Alicia. She looked to be considering something before she spoke.

"Okay, first things first, where's the emotion?" she asked. My stomach sank, "you're known to be one of the most emotional singers on this season and it sounded like you just sang words off of a paper."

"I'm not sure...." I said.

"Okay, we'll work on that. As for now, on the 'that's my own' part on the bridge, why don't you go a little bit higher and add a run?"

I did as Alicia said, as well as a few other things she suggested, but she kept on saying that it sounded like I lost my soul. I wasn't sure what that meant, but it left me with a strange feeling. Walking out of the studio that day felt weird, it was like I knew something bad was about to happen.

- - -

Zach and I were supposed to meet up before my performance at the nearest Panera Bread; only, he was 20 minutes late.

"Sorry, babe, work kept me a little late," he said as he kissed my cheek.

"That's okay, I understand."

Zach sat down and began to play with the edges of a napkin, something he always does when he's nervous. Then, he began to tap his knee which is something he also does when he's anxious.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Zach looked down at his phone before answering, "yes". I decided to do nothing about it and get us some food. Strangely, Zach continued going about with his nervous habits. Was he nervous about our date? He shouldn't be, I mean we always hang out together.

Suddenly, his phone went off. He picked it up, saw it was from work, and went to answer it- leaving me all by myself. I sighed and stirred my tea whilst wondering how I was going to put emotion into my next performance.

"Sorry, work needs me... I have to go" Zach stated.

I gave a small smile as he cleaned up our table.

"I'll call you later," he said as he gave me a small peck before leaving.

Unfortunately, Zach didn't call me that night or the next few nights...

- - -

Today was the day of the playoffs, and Zach still hasn't texted or called me. It's been one whole week, I was starting to get skeptical. I mean I don't want to be "that girl" but our last date was really strange.