Chapter 3 - Zubiya goes home

Asfand woke up @5 am to see Zubia sleeping soundly. He brushed his teeth and went to the men's room to shower and change. Then he made tea and went to Zubiya's room. The nurse was checking her vitals and Dr Haroon was there too. After 15 mins they left and Zubiya was awake. The nurse had helped her to the wash room and she had showered she looked so charming inspite of her injury, it took Asfand a lot of self control to not hug her.
He went to her side and slowly raised her up. She said "Salaam Al ekum" to him and he responded with "Waallekum Salam" to her, smiling. For some reason he walked back to the door and locked it from inside. She stared at him. He then poured her a cup of tea from the flask and gave it to her. She took a couple of sips and wanted more sugar. He stirred in some for her. Then he took a sip from her cup and said "hmm now I think it perfect" and gave her the cup. She drank the tea without looking at him again. "When will I be discharged?" She asked him.

"This evening" he responded "if your vital are normal". I will go for my rounds and come back later he said, and left. I miss him already Zubiya thought to herself. Where is my bag she wondered. Must be with Asfand. She was feeling so vulnerable. Dr Sheroze and Dr Asifa came next. They both hugged her and told her it was Allah's marzi that the wound was not too bad. Zubiya thanked Dr Sheroze. He teased her saying that "Abhi hum doono have same blood, we were brother and sister". Zubiya smiled happily and nodded. Then they left. She felt sleepy again. She closed her eyes and fell asleep. She had no idea how long she slept. She kept seeing her Ammi and Abi in her dreams. Then she felt Asfand by her side. She thought she was dreaming as he held her hand, she just lay quietly. When she opened her eyes, she saw him sitting on the couch with his feet up, and looking at her steadily.
He said "Zubiya, how are you feeling? Dr Asifa packed lunch for us, lets eat, I am starving. It's 2 pm, and I checked on you 3 times and you were fast asleep". Zubiya wondered why he did not eat his food. He removed her oxygen finger monitor and checked her temperature. Then he sat her up and before she realized it, he bent and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek. "Better get used to it" he smiled. He served her the food on a plate and handed to her. Zubia felt clumsy with her bandaged hand and the bed. She wanted to get off the bed and sit on the couch but she kept silent. Asfand saw her discomfort and came up to her and helped her down and made her sit on the couch. She was stunned as to how he read her mind. She smiled at him. They both sat and he kept feeding her in between and she had to cover her mouth everytime he stuffed food in her mouth. Allah, I can't stop loving this man, she said in her mind voice. Just as they were finishing up, Dr Asifa knocked and Asfand let her in. They thanked her for the lunch. Dr Asifa said Zubia could leave today and she will come and check on her this evening. Zubia noticed she gave a look to Asfand. He nodded to her. After she left, Asfand helped her back to bed. "I will come in two hours and pick you up" he said and left.

After 30 minutes, the nurse came and she had a set of Zubiya clothes with her. Zubiya asked her if Getti was in the building. The nurse told her Getti was off today. Hmmm that's why Getti did not visit her yet she thought, and she felt a little puzzled. Who bought her clothes? Maybe Dr Ana she thought and kept quiet. The nurse helped her with her clothes and Zubiya felt so much better once she removed the hospital clothes off. But she felt a bit sad to go back to her mess, but she also wanted to be away from Asfand's piercing looks. Eh Allah, I am a mess she thought to herself....She wanted her bag and phone. Sitting on the bed, she dozed off. Then she felt Asfand close to her, it was like magic she could just sense him. She opened her eyes and saw him looking at her quietly. "Let's go" he said, and the nurse bought her the wheelchair. "I have your bag and phone" he said next as if reading her mind. She just nodded.
He helped her to get in the car and started driving, it was when he took the route away from the mess that she noticed and asked him where they were going. "Mere saath, mera ghar " he said tight lipped. "From now on you will be with me Zubiya" he said firmly. Zubiya was shocked and numb. "Please take me to mess" she said. He looked at her angrily and did not answer. They reached home. The bhai came and opened the car and she noticed her bag of clothes was in the car. Oh my he had it all planned she realized. He went opened the front door and then came to her as she was struggling to get out. He lifted her in one swoop and carried her to the home. Then he gently set her down and Zubiya swayed. He quickly held her and then locked the door from inside.

Zubiya noticed the house was quiet and empty. He held her hand and led her to the kitchen and made her sit at the kitchen table. Zubiya looked around quietly. He went back in to the living room and came back to the kitchen in a few minutes. He had removed his belt and shoes and loosened his shirt. It was 6pm and she suddenly felt very hungry. Asfand put the kettle for tea and opened the fridge to take a box of eggs. "Mamma has made us some food and I will make omlette, do you like omlette? Oh I know you eat everything you said," he joked recollecting what she once had told him.
She looked at him silently. He came up to her and sat next to her, "I know you want to say something, feel free to share".. ....she blurted out "where is everyone?" Asfand said, "They have gone out. They will be back tomorrow". He whipped the eggs and made the omelette. "Can I help" asked Zubiya. "Yes, by eating it all" Asfand laughing said. He then warmed up some rice dhal and veggies and made a plate for them, he made two cups of tea for both, he mixed the sugar took a sip and gave it to her saying, "I think it's perfect for you". Zubiya just looked at him and sipped the tea quietly. It was perfect indeed. She smiled and saw him smiling too. They both ate the food and she told him it was good. He nodded his head but told her she needs to finish up or else he would forcefully feed her. She knew he would do it too and silently tried to finish up. She could not. She looked up at him pleadingly, and he laughed. "Alright, today, I will let you off" and took her plate. She had eaten only half the food, and the omlette. He ate her remaining omlette and put the dishes to wash up. Zubiya stood up and felt a wave of dizziness hit her. She called his name "Asfand" and gripped the table. He walked quickly up to her and held her. She felt weak, and cold. Asfand held her tightly and waited for her to steady up. Then he walked her to his room. You can sleep here he said. She said nothing and sat on the bed. There was another door leading to the library. "I have a sofa bed here and I will sleep here" he said and I can be at arms distance. "Zubiya, I know you trust me and I have lot of respect for you, my jaan, do not hesitate to ask me for anything and we are mature and above all doctors, let's be careful of your health first" he told her seriously. Zubiya nodded. Oh Allah, I love her so much Asfand thought to himself.

He bought her bag and pulled out her clothes which the other lady doc packed for her. Zubiya watched him silently. He then gave her his tshirt and told her that she would be more comfortable in this as it was loose fitting for her to sleep in. He helped her to restroom and she changed. When she came back, she was looking so tired and vulnerable, Asfands heart just melted. He looked deeply at her and remembered what her Khala had told him the pain Zubiya had endured. He felt both anger and pain. He saw Zubiya looking at him. He told her that he needed to check the dressing and bought his medicine kit. She slowly lay down while he sat next to her and applied fresh bandage. She put her hand over her face while he took care of her wound. She felt his fingers gentle on her body and it was difficult for her to breathe. She lay still. He was her doctor now.

"Do you want to watch some TV" he asked her. She nodded. He gave her his shawl and turned on the TV in his room and he sat on the lounge chair in his room. In silence they were watching the comedy show. Zubiya wanted to laugh and the stitches hurt her. He turned the channel to a more serious one. There was an SRK film which was playing, "Rab ne Bane di Jodi" a favorite of Zubiya's and they watched it while Asfand was also working on hospital paperwork on his laptop. Asfand looked at her, cuddled up, so charming, smiling and watching the movie, he wanted to sit with her, but he controlled his emotions. He respected her more than anything. Anyway in 4 days she would be his wife, he thought firmly to himself. The thought made him happy. He decided he would talk to her tomorrow morning. It was his day off and he needed to have a serious conversation with Zubiya. Meanwhile Zubiya could sense Asfand's presence so strongly that every cell in her body was tingling. I love him so much she kept telling herself. But I should leave as soon as I get well. Run away, far far away.

It was 9 pm and Zubiya began to feel drowsy, the meds were kicking in. She slid down the pillows and held on to his shawl and closed her eyes. Asfand saw her trying to adjust and came to her side and helped her settle down and covered her and he could not stop himself, he bent and caressed her cheek and said g'nite. She smiled and her eyes were closed tightly. He took his laptop and shut the bedroom door and walked to the library. He left the connecting door open and continued to finish up the hospital work. Just then Getti bhabhi called and said they had a good chat w Khala and all was well. They will all come tomorrow evening and Zubia's Khala too was coming with them. Asfand listened quietly. He felt a huge relief and a sense of peace.