Chapter 4 - The Proposal

Asfand woke up and went for his usual jog. He came back sooner than his usual run time as he did not want to leave Zubiya alone for too long. He entered and she was still sleeping. Her hair covered her face and she was lying in her side. And she had a pillow next to her. He smiled noticing she had 2 pillows around her. He quietly walked to the kitchen and prepared coffee for them both. He came in to find her stirring. She opened her eyes and the room was still darkened but for a dim lamp. She remembered where she was and shivered. Just then Asfand walked in with the coffee. She looked at him
"Good morning" he said. She said the same, and was trying to sit up. He helped her up and walked her to the restroom. She noticed all her toiletries were kept there. She brushed, washed up and came out. She was feeling strange -  better yet weak at the same time. Her emotions were in a turmoil. She came out and saw him sipping his coffee. He poured her a cup and led her to the window. The morning looked so pretty outside, morning dewy sunshine and the  flowers. And the green grass and the hot coffee cup and the perfect amount of sugar in her coffee. She smiled and almost laughed out loud. "Mmmmmmm good coffee" she said smilingly. He looked at her and said "I learn quickly what my darling likes" with a straight face. Zubiya did not look at him. He came and stood in front of her, and told her it was his day off, and that shocked Zubiya even more, which means he would spend the day with her and she did not want that. "Zubiya, get ready and let's have breakfast" he said. She nodded and went to shower.

She came out after 20 minutes, her hair still damp and her face shining and he noticed she was wearing eye liner and she looked so beautiful. She wore a thin white sweater over her peach Salwar, he could sense she was feeling cold and he set the heater on in the house. He wanted to check her incision. She bit her lip and stood still while he examined her wound. He applied fresh gauze and said she was healing well. He told her that they had to make a larger incision so as make sure that the did not miss any fragment of the bullet. She nodded her head. Asfand too felt a different feel when he checked her wound. She trusted him implicitly and he worshipped her for that and his love for her grew more.
Zubiya made pancakes for breakfast and they had some potatoes and scambled eggs and more coffee. When Asfand saw her portion size, he was not happy.  He served her more eggs and she quietly ate even though she felt full. She was terrified he would feed her and she did not want that. Her heart would leap out of her body if he came any closer to her.
Just as they were finishing up the Bhai came to clear and cook lunch.
"Salaam allekum baaji" she told Zubiya. "Kya baneyenga lunch keliye?" She asked. Asfand smiled and waited for Zubiya to answer. Zubiya was confused for a second, quickly recovered and said
"Waallekum Salaam. Asfand likes aloo paratas, and make some palak;  and for evening,  mam, papa sub log ayega, make fish curry, rice and plain paratas, paneer masala for dinner", she said without looking at Asfand.
Hearing her talk so freely with the bhai, Asfand felt joy and a sense of pride in what a genuine and smart girl his honewali biwi was. Everything about her he loved more and more and was looking at her with a smile. She was his joy and happiness. She fell for all his teasing but still stood her ground. She made him laugh and smile so much, he was slowly begining to regain the love that he had locked away after Daniyal bhai's passing. He was still looking at Zubiya when she finished with the Bhai, she came up to him and said "let's go for a walk". Asfand nodded but said he will be ready in 15 minutes.

She sat in the living room and waited. He came wearing his casual clothes and held out his hand. Zubiya caught a whiff of his cologne and it was very pleasant. She tried to ignore her feelings and held his hand. They both walked out. Slowly they walked together and after 15 minutes, he asked Zubiya to sit on the bench. He came and sat near her. He looked at her and felt it was right time to state his intentions clearly to her. Zubiya felt him intently near her and he took her hand in his and held on to it.
"You saved my life Zubiyaaa" he said quietly and bent forward and kissed her forehead. Zubiya turned and looked at him, knowing full well that it was he who saved her 7 years ago and she would be forever indebted to him. Her eyes filled with love for him but she hid it by not looking at him. But he did not. He stood up and kneeled in front of her looking at her. "Meri taraaf dekho" he said....