Chapter 8 - Shaadi Mubbarak

Asfand wakes up at 5:30 and hears sounds from the kitchen already. He goes out to see his mom making chai and he hugs her. He knows finally, his mother is happy after a long time and she also loves Zubiya very very much. Dad joins them as well and he hugs Asfand and smiles at him with pride. "Asfi, yours is a simple wedding, but I know you are happy and I want you to be blessed and I will never be able to thank you enough for being our wonderful son". Asfand hugs his Baba and Mama together..... Then they have chai quietly all three happy but missing Daniyal at the same time. Soon the cook comes in and the cooks outside start the breakfast preparation for the guests.

Asfand makes coffee for Zubiya and takes it to her room. She is still fast asleep, clinging to his shawl. He sits on the side of her bed and stares at her for a few minutes. Zubiya begins to stir and she tries turning to the other side and feels the pain from the surgery and winces slightly. The pain wakes her up fully and she sees Asfi. He helps her sit up, hands her the coffee and leaves saying softly "Zubie, I will use the restroom quickly, then it is all yours to get ready" He goes in and after 20 minutes comes out with wet hair, simple pyjamas and baniyan, stands there looking at her. Both just stare at each other, finally realizing that soon they will be husband and wife, 7 years after their accidental meeting. Ya Allah, what fate has in store for each one, only you know, they both think.

There is a knock on the door, Asfand opens it and sees Getti bhabhi. She comes in while he goes to the study to wear his kurta. Getti sees that Zubiya is still in bed and helps her out. She had new sheets for the room and the maid came in to do the changes while Getti was supervising everything. Zubiya went to shower and freshen up in the meantime. In 30 minutes she comes out to see the room, beautifully decorated with new linen, curtains flowers and candles. It looked magical. Getti took a few pics of Zubi standing there in her casual clothes and wet hair admiring the room. Soon the girl from salon arrives as well. Zubia did not want anything elaborate. All she wanted was her hair blow-dried and she was just leaving it loose or know it simple style. The other aunties were all getting beautiful hairdos including Lubna auntie and Getti, who herself looked so gorgeous.

Zubiya felt unfettered happiness and a strange excitement; she had no appetite, and knowing she would skip food (as she has often done while rushing in to work in the mornings) Asfand came looking for her, "aaw, let's have breakfast together", he pulls her to the kitchen and made sure she had a toast, juice and eggs even if it was a small portion. They looked at the clock, it was nine already. He smiled at her and told her he would see her soon as Mrs Asfandyar and walked away. Zubiya stood there staring at his back, and as if her magnetism pulled him back, he turned around came back took her hand and led her to the library, closing the door behind him. He looked at her, and the image of the frightened girl flashed and now she stood before him, a beautiful smart doctor about to become his wife. He smiled slowly, then bent down touched his forehead to hers, and in low firm voice said "thank you Zubiya, for helping me feel love again", and kissed her gently very close to her lips and before she could react, pushed her to the bedroom. Zubiya turned and looked at him as he stood there in the middle of the room and her eyes shined brightly she was incredibly happy and filled with love for this man who had saved her and now her pillar, her soulmate.

She heard Getti calling her and walks to get her make up done. Zubiya did not enjoy too much makeup. She chose a green thick eye liner and mascara and pink lipstick and that was it. Her wedding dress was a pale gold and with pink and blue roses, a simple lengha suit with long chemise and inside a sleeveless gold top. She put a low knot with her hair. She wore a ruby Mang Tikka and her khala' s gift of antique Ruby necklace and the bangles from her mother inlaw. She looked divinely gorgeous. It did not take her too long to get dressed, she was ready by 10:15 am. The guests were all assembling outside under the large shamiana and soon, Lubna auntie came to see her. She put a black kala tikka on the side of Zobi head to remove all nazar. The photographer came to take pictures of her. Dr Asifa came to give her hugs. Soon it was time to leave. Zubiya walked out with Getti and Dr Asifa to the simple dias and sat in the right side of beautiful golden shawl separating her from Asfand. The Mullah was seated already. Soon all the guests were seated, and fruit drinks were being served. Zubia suddenly felt very thirsty. She was looking for Getti but she was talking to some guests. Then Khala bought her a beautiful golden duppata to cover her head laced with pink and blue applique flowers. Her brother too was looking handsome in a deep red sherwani. She missed her nephew, Arham. Suddenly, one of the guests' daughter walked up to her with a glass of water and handed it to her. Zubiya felt like it was pure magic and her parents spirit was around her, but more so she felt a deep urge to let go all the pain of the past, and take new steps for the new journey ahead of her. She quickly sipped the water as there was only a few more minutes for the ceremony to start. On the other side she heard the guests cheering as Asfand walked up to the dias. The Mullah came over to ask her a few question and she replied "kabool" to everything there by accepting Asfandyar Ali Khan as her lawfully wedded husband. There was a cheers from all the women. The Mullah then went to Asfand's side and asked the same question and same answer from him. Then there was loud cheer from the men's side and the golden shawl was lowered and for the first time, she raised her eyes to see his piercing gaze at her. The Mullah and Dr Sheroze then introduced them both as Mr and Mrs Asfandyar Ali Khan and big applause rang. Asfand smiled and looked at Zubiya with pride and love and he looked so handsome in his golden sherwani she could not take her eyes off him.