Chapter 6 - A Visitor

Even as she was chit chatting with Getti Bhabhi, Zubiya knew that Asfi wanted to tell her something. She understood from his looks that it was important too. Getti was showing her pics from her phone on the suits she has picked out for Zubia. They were lovely simple elegant ones and Zubia once again thanked Allah silently for giving her this wonderful new family. She no longer felt alone. Getti then left telling her that she needed to rest. Before leaving, she peeped in the office to see what Asfand was doing, and saw him working, she went up to him hugged him too and quietly left. Asfand loved his Bhabhi very much and felt glad to see her happy too.

He finished up his work,  he had a major surgery tomorrow and knew he would be busy all day, and them Saturday was the day of Nikah. Asfand suddenly missed his brother very much and tears escaped his eyes. He sat there allowing the sadness to wash over him, but felt Daniyal Bhai was somewhere watching him. He missed him very much. He felt Zubiya around him, opened his eyes and saw her standing by the door. She saw his tears and she stood there wanting to hug him but doing nothing. She felt his pain and immediately knew the tears were for his loving brother Daniyal. He looked at her and stretched out his hand. She walked up to him slowly and took his hand, he pulled her to him and she sat on his lap and held him tightly. This was the comforting love that they had for each other, recognising the pain each felt. Their pain was now joined. He felt her warmth and slowly his tears stopped. She was not holding him, just sitting with her head against his, her fingers entwined in his. Slowly he wrapped his arms around her waist and said,
"Zubia, I have something to tell you". She turned her head and tried to get up. He held her on him and looked into her eyes. "I got a call from Rehan Bhai when you were sleeping. He has requested to meet you. He is very very sorry and wants to apologize to you and meet you at least once. He is seeking your forgiveness. I have invited him to come".
"Please mujse naraz mat karna, I did not have the heart to be harsh with him, even though I was very angry...he is your Bhai".

Zubiya sat shocked and silent. She no longer had the energy for tears. She tried getting up again and she shivered. Asfand held her to him. "Jaan, this is the past that you need to put firmly behind you, unko maaf Karne ki mushkil hai, magar, at least see him and get your feeling out forever. Never think of them again, ever".

He then allowed her to get up and walked over to her bed. She did not look at him. She was not angry at him, just a strange feeling of helplessness washed over her. She shivered again and felt feverish. Asfand was concerned and checked her temperature. She was running a low grade fever. He gave her some meds and water and sat by her side. She piled the pillows around and closed her eyes. She did not want to think about anything but Asfand. He was her soulmate, and she loved him unconditionally. He was holding her fingers and watched her. Her eyelids were fluttering. He bent towards her and told her to sleep well and quietly kissed her cheek. She felt comforted and good. She turned toward him and for the first time, she gave him a kiss on his nose and quickly buried her head in her pillow and she could hear him chuckling softly. She heard him leave and sleep caught up with her and she fell into a deep sleep.

She was dreaming of her childhood when Rehan Bhai would carry her on his back and they would play together. Everything changed after he married. The bitterness started soon. Her dreams faded and again her ammi came in her dreams. Zubiya tossed in her sleep and pushed against her incision in her sleep. The pain woke her up. She woke up and noticed some blood oozing out. She lay still for a few minutes. Then got up and went to find the medicine box. She did not make noise as she did not want to wake up Asfand. She found the med box and lifting her t-shirt, she removed the old bandage and applied a new one. She was intent on what she was doing she did not notice Asfand come in. Then she felt his hand on her and looked to see him kneeling and fixing the gauze. She then used the restroom and came back to bed and saw him still standing in the room. Once she settled back in the bed, he arranged her pillows and left quietly. They did not speak a word, just there for each other.