Chapter 14 - Mrs Asfandyar Ali Khan

Dr Zubiya Ali Khan

Zubiya woke up and realized today she was late and grimmaced. It was 6:30am and she had to leave in an hour. Asfand was always strict about punctuality. She quickly rushed to the restroom and was ready in half hour. She went to the living room and saw Baba reading the newspaper.
"Salaam allekum Baba. I am a bit late, as driver is not here today I informed Rustom to pick me up at 7:30" she said to her father in-law.
"Wallekum Salaam Beta. Did you sleep well?"
"Ji" said Zubiya
"And don't worry, let me drop you today, hum donnu can have breakfast now, before others, I told cook already" he smiled at her.
Zubiya nodded and both went to the breakfast table. Baba was wonderful and she saw there was oats and some toast. They both sat down and both of them preferred the oats had a cup of coffee and Zubia went to grab her bag. Just then mumma came out, after finishing her namaz.

"Beta, don't push too hard, you are still recovering and have a good day" she smiled and have her a kiss.
Zubiya hugged her and quickly left with Baba. On the way, she texted Rustom and told him not to come. She knew Getti would come later and she mentally made up her mind to have lunch with her. She was looking forward to getting back to work. She smiled looking at the green meadows and flowers. They were on time, it was only 7:45am. Baba left after dropping her.
Zubiya went to the reception and as soon as the receptionist saw her, she came over and hugged Zubiya for they all loved her very much. Zubiya logged in and looked at her schedule. She noted that she had been scheduled only up to 3 pm. She smiled. Asfand was such a strictler and organized. She put her things away in the lady doctors/staff room as usual, wore her coat and went to the pediatric ward where she had been assigned from 8 to noon. She saw Dr Haroon there and he was about to leave as he was on night shift. Zubiya smiled at him.
"Good morning Dr Haroon. Please tell me how is Sharafat Baba" she enquired
"Good morning Dr Mrs Asfand, and we are so happy to see you, everyone here missed you. If you had not come today, hospital would be empty, everyone wanted to leave" he joked
"InshaAllah Sherafat baba is doing well so far, he is awake and his vitals are normal and same with the recipient patient in Islamabad. Seems too soon, but maybe after death Bahadhur is repaying for his sins by saving two lives" Dr Haroon said.
"Acha you leave and I will see you tomorrow" Zubiya went into the ward for children. It was a tough ward for her, her heart felt pain to see some of then very serious sick children, but at the same time she enjoyed being around them and always prayed that Allah would cure all of them.
The moment the some of the kids saw her, they smiled and some said "hooray Dr Zubiya baaji is back" and some clapped.
Zubiya slipped into her duty and started checking her young patients. Most were recovering well but Hussein who had COPD and she paid close attention to the infection in his lungs. His breather was shallow and she prescribed a dose of antibiotics for him. She noticed he was thinner than before and she told the nurse to call her when it was time for his noon meals.

She was so busy, she did not realize how quickly time flew. It was 11:30am and she sat down to fill out medical reports on each of her patient. Quickly she checked her texts and saw one from Asfand.
"Good morning baby (kiss)"
She responded "thank you. Love you😘😘"

She also responded to Getti and Dr Asifa -
"Be in Cafe at 1p"
And got back to work.

She saw Dr Sheroze come in and he walked over to her.
"Kaise hai Dr Zubiya?" And gently patted her back.
"Am good Sir" Zubiya smiled at him remembering his words "blood brother and sister"
Dr Sheroze had no worries about Zubiya because very soon he realized that she was not only a competent doctor but an empathetic one too and patients felt both physically and mentally cured when she took care of them. And she was also very smart and always listened and asked for second opinion when she had the smallest doubt. He remembered her request for specialization and decided to discuss it with her next week.
He saw her writing the notes and did not want to disturb her. He decided to send her an IM. And after saying hello to children who all greeted him, he left.