Chapter 25

I visited Harry in the hospital wing with Ron and Hermione on the weekend.
As for Kiba, I had dragged him up to his room.
It was really actually messy. His pillows were slightly ripped and the curtains had little slash marks.
I stared at him, now face down on his bed.
He wasn't a werewolf, it was impossible for a Wondla to have werewolf blood.
So why had he acted so strangely when exposed to the moon?
It was almost as if he were possessed.
I shook my head and left the room.
I walked slowly to the hospital wing.
I was pretty sure Ron and Hermione were already there.
I was right.
Harry was laying in the hospital bed, looking like someone he was close to just died.
"Someone looks miserable." I sat at the end of the bed.
I crossed my arms. "So what's up with you? Nurse lady keeping you longer than expected?"
Harry nodded.
"Well don't pout about it. Just leave or something." I shrugged. "Me and Kiba did."
"You and Kiba are a lot braver than I am, Katrina." Harry said in a low voice. I raised my eyebrows. "Uh-huh."
Ron and Hermione watched in silence as I leaned forward slightly. "Listen here, Potter. I know who I am and I know who you are.
"I know that I'm reckless, selfish, and wild. I know that you're careful, considerate, and controlled."
My white braid fell over my shoulders. My silvery eyes glinted.
I saw something in Harry's face, something that wasn't misery and pain. Something like fear.
What would he be afraid of?

On Monday Harry was back in classes. He seemed slightly happy to be in the busy castle, even though Draco Malfoy was almost wetting his pants with glee over Gryffindor's defeat in the Quidditch match.
Ron got so mad one day that he threw a crocodile heart at Malfoy during potions, causing Snape to take fifty points from Gryffindor.
I think it was worth it though.
All four of us hoped Snape wasn't teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts again.
Hermione and I peeked into the room, and he wasn't there. Lupin was standing at his desk, bags under his shadowed eyes and his robes practically falling off his body.
We went inside the room.
When everyone got into the room, bursts of complaints about Snape's teaching broke out. Lupin's eyes widened slightly when he heard the word "werewolf".
Kiba had never met Lupin before, and right now he was leaning back in his chair, studying Lupin.
I saw the side of Kiba's mouth lift slightly, showing the tip of his sharp teeth.
"It's alright everyone. None of you have to do the essay." Lupin said, smiling at all the protesting students.
I saw Hermione's face fall and I smiled to myself. Knowing her, she already did the whole essay and maybe more.
I watched in silence as Lupin showed the class a hinkypunk.
It was weird. It had one leg and looked like smoke. It held a lantern in its hand. "The hinkypunk hops ahead, and people follow the light, and then..." The creature made a horrible squelching noise.
When the bell rang, I left the room with all my stuff, but stopped when I heard Lupin call Harry back.
I stood outside the door. I knew it was wrong but I was way too curious not to.
"-the Quidditch match. Is there any chance of fixing your broom?"
I didn't catch the first part of Lupin's sentence but it didn't really need to.
"No." Came Harry's voice.
"They planted that tree the year I enrolled. People used to try to get near enough to touch the trunk. They made it a game until a boy nearly lost an eye. Then we were forbidden to go near it." Lupin's voice was soft.
"Did you hear about..." Harry paused. "The dementors?" His voice sounded like he didn't want to talk about it.
There was a short pause.
"Yes. They've been restless for a while. Angry at Dumbledore not letting them inside the grounds. Were they the reason you...fell?" Came Lupin's voice.
I furrowed my brow. Dementors? Were those that thing Kiba and I saw?
"Yeah...but...why do they affect me so much? Am I just weak or something?" Harry said angrily.
"No, no, it doesn't have to do with weakness. In fact, it has nothing to do with it. The dementors affect you so much more because of the horrors you have had in your past."
It was quiet for a moment.
"Harry, dementors are foul creatures. They can drain all the hope and happiness out of the air. They feed off of decay and despair. Even Muggles can feel them. If you get too near them, all of your happiness will be sucked away. If it's possible, they'll reduce you to something like them, without a souls and evil. You have nothing to feel ashamed of. The worst thing that happened to you would make anyone fall off their broom." Lupin said gently.
"When they get near me..." Harry started. He paused before saying, "I can hear Voldemort killing my mom."
I blinked. I gripped my braid. That must be hard. Every time one of those things come near him... Ugh.
"Why were they at the match?" Harry said suddenly, breaking the silence. "They're hungry." There was a snapping sound that sounded like a briefcase being shut.
"I don't think they could resist so many people in the Quidditch stadium. Their supply of prey has dwindled." Lupin replied.
"Azkaban must be terrible." Harry said softly.
"It's set on a tiny island in the sea. They don't need walls to keep the prisoners in. They're trapped inside their own heads. They can't find something cheerful in their minds. Most of them go insane within a few weeks."
"But...Sirius Black escaped them." Harry said slowly.
My memories flashed to the man who nearly killed Kiba. His sunken, mad look. Like a convict.
I didn't hear Lupin's next words.
"...made the dementor back off on the train." Said Harry.
"There are defenses one can use. Of course, there was only one one the train. The more there are, the harder it gets to defend yourself."
"What defenses? Can you teach me?" Harry said quickly.
"Harry, I'm not an expert at fighting dementors."
"But if they come back I'm going to need to fight them."
There was yet another moment of silence.
"Fine. I can try to help. But you'll need to wait till next term."
I didn't wait around to hear whatever else Lupin had to say. I quickly ran ahead up to the Gryffindor common room.
I needed to have a serious talk with someone.

-that was kind of a long wait for an update. Sorry, I've been having medical issues and haven't been able to update. But it's here now! Another breeding ground for comments!
Still with the Claire thing...sheesh. Why don't I just leave that little cliffhanger there until I finish the rest of the series. :) Hehehehe
-Leap