2: mom brought her to us

i listen to the occasional clinks of the spoon on glass bowls as everyone sits around, too lost in thought to eat. except me, i've already finished my food. "everybody okay?" rick asks and we look in his direction, to see him walking in.

"yeah we are," maggie answers.

i'm surprised to see rick in a much better state of mind considering where he was at yesterday. "what about you?" hershel asks.

"i cleared out the boiler block," rick says, looking down at his son and he then looks at me.

"your shoulder doing okay?" he asks and i nod slowly.

"how many were there?" daryl asks.

"a dozen. two dozen, maybe. i'm gonna head back down, but i just wanted to check on the kids," he explains, resting his hand on the back of his son's neck. carl hasn't talked much, same for me.

"rick, we can handle the bodies. you don't have to," glenn offers.

"i do," rick says and walks over to daryl. "everyone have a gun and a knife?"

"yeah, we're running low on ammo though," daryl says.

"if i can get my weapons back so i can leave i'd appreciate it," i say and rick grabs my backpack, setting it down in front of me.

"what's in it?"  daryl asks.

"the ice tool, a throwing knife, my leg holster, rope, some pictures from when i was a kid, a dead walkie-talkie and 9-mm twin colt 45s," i say and look up at them. "i hope you haven't gotten rid of my bow and arrow either. i'll just get it back and be on my way."

"anyway, maggie and i planned on going on a run this afternoon," glenn tells rick. "we found a phone book with some places where we can get formula and then ammo."

"we cleared out the generator room," daryl says. "axel's down there trying to fix it. we'll get the lower levels as well."

rick nods and walks away, ignoring hershel's calls for him. "well, thank you guys but it's my time to go." i say and grab my bags.

"no, not yet." daryl speaks up.

"oh, what now?" i whine.

"you a good shot, kid?" he asks and i roll my eyes.

"yes i am," i say.

"hmm. here, shoot this," he says,
handing me my bow and arrow and i go grab it. "shoot your bowl."

i look around at everyone before shooting the bowl, shattering it. "happy?" i ask.

"not so bad, kid." he smirks. "you're going on the run with glenn and maggie."

"we decided it'd be good for you to learn to be around other people," glenn says.

"so you want to stop me from leaving by sending me away?" i ask and laugh.

"if you run i'm coming to get you," he shrugs.

~

i step out the car when we reach the town and look around. "it's clear outside," maggie speaks up.