6: we'll be okay

when i wake up i hit my forehead on the bottom of the top bunk and groan, letting out a string of curse words under my breath. i get a warm dizzy feeling and then i look over to see carl asleep beside me. "umm," i drag out and then look around, finding our comic books and the flashlight that's still on so i turn it off. i turn back to carl and lightly hit his forehead.

carl came to my cell last night in an attempt to make friends with me and showed me his comics as way to show he was serious. he also brought more of his clothes for me to change into.

he continues to lie still but eventually scrunches his face up. "what?" he asks with his eyes still closed.

"why'd you stay in here? there's no space on this bed for two people," i whine and try, but fail to push him off.

"yet here we are," he says in a raspy voice. i let out a cough and feel dizzy again. "you okay?"

i nod and shake it off. "you couldn't go back to your cell?" i ask.

he finally opens his eyes and looks at me. "we heard footsteps coming and i had no time to run. you know my dad would've been upset if he knew we were up all night reading comic books," he says and sits up. "also i offered to give up my cell to one of the people from woodbury."

"so that's why you brought all your stuff in here last night," i nod and then realize that i'm going to be the one sharing a room with him. "oh god."

i get up and walk out the cell. "where you going?" i hear carl call out as he follows me.

"to talk to rick about this," i explain. we find rick outside and walk over to him.

"you didn't wake us up," carl tells his dad when we see him.

"cause i knew you were both up all night reading comics," rick says.

"well i thought that's all we were doing but apparently carl just moved in," i say and lean on the pig pen.

"i think it'll help you guys work on getting along better," rick says.

"but he's still so annoying," i exaggerate and carl rolls his eyes, walking over to the pen.

"what's up with violet?" he asks and i turn around to look at the pig, laying on the floor.

"carl, i told you not to name them. they're not piglets anymore. they're food," rick says.

"actually," i clear my throat. "i'm the one that picked that name."

"yeah i asked her too. i just thought, you know, until..." carl says and receives a look from his dad. "okay."

rick sighs and looks over at the pig. "i don't know what's wrong with her," he says. "could be sick, could be nothing." rick clicks his tongue at the pig. "feel better, violet."

he looks over at us and smiles. "see, i knew you'd catch on," i say and smile back. "i was feeling sick, earlier. dizzy too."

"are you okay?" rick asks and i nod.

"it's probably just a tough recovery," i smile sarcastically and rick nods.

"come on, let's get to it," rick says.

"hey, i'll see you guys later. i'm gonna go see the others before they leave for the run," i say, and start to walk off.

"you going?" carl asks and i turn to him.

i shrug. "don't know yet," i say and turn back to walk normally.

as i walk over to daryl i see a bunch of people calling his name. "wow, you're famous." i joke and he gives me a sarcastic smile, giving me his plate so i can eat.