3: when you're ready to stop lying

i open my eyes to see hershel sitting in the chair beside the bed, hanging his head low. when he looks up at me his eyes widen in shock. "you're awake," he says. i don't reply. these people are the reason for this. they could've just let me go. he looks around. "carl named the baby judith." he sighs. "there were these new people. sasha and tyreese and two other guys but they didn't seem right. rick started yelling at them and they left. rick doesn't seem to be right either. glenn's angry about everything that happened. he feels like it's his fault you're like this and he's right. they kept pushing you to stay. daryl's gone."

that last part causes me to look at him. i want to ask about it but i can't. "rick said he chose to leave with his brother," he explains and i narrow my eyes. i don't get to leave and he does? hershel gets up and goes to the doorway. "i'll go tell the rick and the others your awake."

he leaves and i stare up at the bottom of the bunk over me. my entire body aches. my skin feels sore and stretched out. i try to move my legs but i don't have the strength to get either of them going.

it's been a while since hershel's left and i begin to question what's happened when i hear a gun shot from outside. i think it's the governor. beth comes into my cell quickly and sets judith down beside me. "watch her and i'll come get you if anything goes wrong," maggie says as she passes by. they run outside and i look over at judith.

as i go to place my hand on her, her hand wraps around my finger and i manage a smile. "don't let this world get to you, kid." i sigh. i pat the bed and look around as i hear the fence break down. "you have to be the light that shines through these people's broken pieces."

~

"we're not leaving," rick says.

"we can't stay here. what if there's another sniper?" hershel asks.

"jade isn't well enough to move," i hear glenn say.

"uh, hey," i hear carl as he knocks on the wall. "i came to get judith." he comes over and i shift so he can pick up judith easily. "they've been deciding if we should leave or not."

i look in the other direction. "hey, maybe you should move around to heal faster. here, i can..." carl says and grabs my wrist, making me flinch. he quickly moves back. "i'm sorry."

he tries again and helps me to my feet. he brings me out while everyone's talking. the sudden change in volume causes my head to start pounding. "well well, she's alive." i hear that familiar voice and a chuckle. i look over to see merle behind the cell. "if it isn't my favorite little genius. do you people know how smart she is?"

"what are you—" i try to shout and lunge forward with whatever force i have but daryl grabs me. "why is he here?" i turn over to carl. "why'd you do this? why'd you bring me out here if you knew he was here?"

carl narrows his eyes at me. "that's not what i meant to do," he says.

"being here just gets better and better," i say sarcastically.

"i'm gonna take you back to your bed," daryl says.

"no. no," i yank my arm away from him. "i am leaving. i don't care if i'm hurt."

"that wouldn't be a good idea, princess," merle says.

"and why not?" i snap.

"woah," merle chuckles. "i guess you could go, but if the governor finds you this group might not find your pretty little attitude alive next time."

"great. if i leave i'm dead, i stay i'm dead," i say.

"you're not dead," daryl says, holding me up.