7: all i have left

i wake up back in the a block and look over to see rick. "rick, you can get sick in here." i tell him.

"you protected carl last night," he says softly. "thank you."

"felt like i had too," i say and turn on my side, facing him. "i've been thinking that maybe he was right. maybe i was brought to him. i mean i've never protected anyone but myself. now all i think about doing is making sure you guys are okay first."

i sit up, feeling better. "hershel gave you some medicine while you were passed out." rick explains. when i stand up he gives me a hug. "thank you."

"can i see him? i feel a lot better—"

"let's go," he says and takes me outside.

"how's glenn?" i ask.

"he's better," rick says and when we get outside carl runs over. he hugs me tightly.

"thank you," he whispers.

"it is wasn't anything you wouldn't do for me i hope," i reply and pull away, looking at rick. i take carl's hat off my head and transfer it to his. "and thank you for this. it helped me a lot." i look over to rick. "can i go somewhere? i've been inside for too long."

"you're still healing," carl says.

"but i feel cramped here," i explain.

"we gotta take those bodies out," hershel says. "how about i bring jade and we can go?"

"it's fine with me," rick smiles and pats my back.

i turn to carl. "i'll help you," he says and i nod. we walk over to the side of the prison and let down the back of the truck. "you know last night you started counting," carl says and i nod.

"it's what i do to keep my mind busy," i say.

"being around all these walkers doesn't bother you?" he asks.

i shake my head and look up at him as we lift the walker onto the back of the truck, squinting. "no, it doesn't. i actually get more uncomfortable being around living people," i admit.

"i'd say that's not true but you do still sneak out," he says and chuckles.

"i can't stay in one place for too long, carl." i explain.

"but you come back," he says, helping me lift another body into the truck.

i smile and nod. "what can i say? i have a pretty cool friend i have to check up on," i chuckle. we put the last body on the truck and i turn to him. "i'll be back soon, okay? i'll be fine."

"promise?" he asks and i scratch the back of my neck.

"i'll try my best."

~

"i'm proud of you," hershel says as i drag the bodies out of the truck.

"why?" i ask.

"you put your life at risk to help carl last night," he says.

"i wouldn't say it was much of a risk," i say, lighting a match. i throw it to the pile and watch the flames grow. "i'm just glad it's over. i wish everyone would stop praising me for it."

when i turn back to the car i come face to face with the governor before everything goes black.

~