11: there's nothing there for me

"there's four coming now," i say, keeping watch through the crack. everyone stands up.

"y'all know what to do," rick says. "go for their eyes first. then their throats."

"put your backs to the wall at either end of the cars. now!" we hear and wait for the door to open. but instead it opens up above us and a can drops inside.

"move," the man, now i know as abraham shouts and an explosion goes off.

the doors open and some people come in and everything goes black.

when i wake up i'm being put down on my knees. i look over to see rick, daryl and bob. glenn is set down beside me. we're leaning over a trough with cloth tied around our mouths and our hands tied behind our backs. there's four other guys on the other side of glenn.

the men in the corner of the room, cutting up a body stop and move over to us. "must be a pretty terrible person if gareth wanted to bring a girl in here," one of the guys says and i roll my eyes.

"you don't recognize her? it's jade," the other guy says as they walk out and i look to see rick and the others starring at me. i feel so embarrassed. these people weren't this way when i last saw them.

one of them picks up a bat and the other picks up a knife and they make their way to the guy at the end of the trough. he gets hit in the back of the head with the bat and then the other man slits his throat, letting his blood collect at the bottom of the trough.

gareth walks in as the guys continue what they're doing. "hey what was your guys shot counts?" he asks.

"38," the one with the bat says. they move behind glenn and my heart skips a beat.

"hey!" gareth says before the guy can swing. "your shot count?"

"shit, man, i'm sorry. it was my first roundup," the other guy says.

"after you're done here, go back to your point and count the shells. kaylee won't be gathering them until tomorrow." he says and bob starts yelling but gareth just looks at us. "four from a. four from d?"

gareth finally pulls bob's cloth down and they talk, eventually growing tired by what he's saying, he pulls the cloth back into his mouth and then moves in front of rick.

"you went into the woods with a bag and came out without one. what was in it?" gareth asks.

rick just glares at him and he pulls out a knife, holding it centimeters from my eye. "you can answer and i take out the runaways eye then have some people go look for it, or you can make this easy and tell me," he says.

"i can live without an eye," i barely get out due to the cloth in my mouth.

"what's in the bag?" gareth repeats, keeping eye contact with rick.

"don't tell him," the words come out muffled.

"i will take her eye."

"weapons," he seethes. "rifles, handguns, a bow and a machete. that's what i'm gonna use to kill you."

"maybe," gareth chuckles and looks at me. "it's been good seeing you. glad you get to keep your eye."

i give him a sarcastic smile before he gets up and walks away. i look over to glenn as the man behind him lifts up his bat, but before he gets hit we hear gunshots followed by a massive explosion. the guys in the room leave.

i lean back and stick my legs through the gap between my back and legs, bringing my arms up in front of me. "don't move," i mutter through the cloth and untie rick.