Chapter Two- Blowing Seaweed

{Chapter Two}

"Becca, I think I'm going crazy." I rub my forehead as I sit in bed, just having woken up from the dream.

"What's up?" I can hear her sitting up in her bed from the other side of the call.

I spill all the recent events to her, my free hand flying to get my point across even though she can't see me.

Rebecca let's out a low whistle. "Nope, you are crazy."

"Oh, thanks.  I didn't realize." I roll my eyes, sarcasm clear in my voice.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!  You better not roll your eyes at me, Missy. I tell you, these young people nowadays." I can practically see her pale finger pointing at me, thick, ginger hair in a messy bun.

"Because you aren't young either." I let out a light chuckle at her sass.

"Of course not," she gasps as I imagine her dramatically placing her slender hand on her chest. "I can even remember changing your diapers."

"May I remind you that I am a month older than you?" I point out.

"You're just delusional."

"I think I am now for sure," I groan.

"Hey..." she says softly as if I were a baby. "I'm sure there is a reason for all of this. You said you have a letter?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe you should start by finding the piece of his heart as mystery man called it."

"Yeah, maybe I should," I drawl. "But what if I almost drown again?"

"You can swim, Summer."

"True but it's different. It's like I can't think of anything else but the pull."

"Try to fight the pull."

"Fight it?"

"Yeah, refuse to move and see if it stops."

"I guess you are smart sometimes Rebecca," I tease.

"Only sometimes?" she chuckles softly. "What could possibly be 'blowing seaweed', though?"

Blowing seaweed... Why does that sound so familiar?

"I have a feeling I might know. I'll call you later, Becca." I throw back the covers and get out of bed.

"Alrighty. Stay safe and don't stress, you'll figure it out. You always do."

I smile as I remember all those mystery movies my best friend and I watched in university where I met her. I always figured out the answer before completing half of the film.

"Will do." I hang up.

Quickly, I prepare for the day, pulling on a pair of leggings and a loose shirt. I exit the room, my curly ponytail swaying behind me as I follow the scent of Granny's freshly baked, blueberry muffins into the kitchen.

"Morning," I greet Granny as she pulls out the muffin pan from the oven. My stomach growls at the sight of oozing blueberries on the fluffy, mushroom top of the treat.

"Morning, dear." Granny smiles, placing it on a cooling rack. "You seem to always be in time for my homemade treats."

"Wouldn't want to miss it, would I? You may be old now Granny, but I know your appetite is still as big as a whale's," I joke.

"You may be right about my appetite but I'm still a young girl." She strikes a pose.

I chuckle at her spunk before biting into a muffin. A moan almost escapes my lips as the flavor explodes on my tongue.

I finish two muffins with a glass of orange juice and go back to my room. I rummage through my handbag that rests on the floor and grab the letter. I call out to Granny as I go through the front door.

In a blink of an eye, my flip flops sink into the sand. I quickly remove them, carrying them in my hand as I walk to the middle of the beach.

Since it's Sunday and only eight o'clock in the morning, not many people roam. The melodic sound of the crashing waves starts to tug at me but I will myself not to move.  I close my eyes, my expression one of concentration as I mentally fight the pull. I can practically see the string of energy attaching me to the sea. I imagine my hands wrapping around the string and pulling with all my might.

Come on, Summer,  we have other things to do.

I strain my muscles as continue to pull and pull until finally the string pops and I no longer feel the force. A triumphant smile makes its way onto my lips as I return my mind back to what I came to the beach to do in the first place.

Blowing seaweed... Where could that be...?

I slowly turn in a circle taking in the rocks that line the sides of the shore, the sea grapes that hang in the bushes, the almond trees and-

I gasp as I feel a sharp pain, my hands instantly dropping my shoes to hold the sides of my head. It is like my skull is splitting into two. The pain brings me to my knees and I let out a weak whimper, tears now streaming down my face. Images flash through my mind but they move so fast that I can't grasp them. They flash and flash and flash. Then suddenly, it all comes to halt before a film starts to play behind my closed eye lids.

A little girl with bouncy curls and sparkling dark eyes walks hand in hand with a little boy with bright, artificial-looking, blue eyes and dark locks. They walk to the side of the beach where there are trees and bush. The boy brushes the bush aside as they walk further and further into the forest of plants. Suddenly, with one more brush, a big tree comes into view. 

"Wow!" The little girl exclaims with excitement, a broad smile on her face. "What's that tree called?"

"I don't know," The boy replies, his eyes sparkling at her happiness. "It looks like seaweed."

"Then let's call it..." She places her chubby hand on her chin, eyebrows furrowed in thought. "Blowing Seaweed!"

"Why?"

"Because it looks like seaweed and its leaves blow in the wind!"

The memory stops and my entire body shakes with relief as the pain goes away. I let out a shaky breath and slowly stand back up, wiping the sweat from my brow and the tears that stream down my face with the back of my hands.

I'm so sure that little girl is me.  The same curls rest on my head.  The same eyes guide my path.  But who is the boy that carry the same eyes that haunt my dreams? It has to be the one who wrote the letter. 

Without any hesitation, I pick up my shoes and run as fast as I can towards the same trees and bush from the memory. Towards the boy of my dreams. Literally.