Chapter Seventeen- Story

{Chapter Seventeen}

"You know about your mother loving a merman, don't you?"

No way...

"You knew?" I ask, my eyes wide and body rigid with shock.

Granny looks down at her plate, away from my gaze.  Her solemn expression deepens as she doesn't reply.

A bitter laugh leaves my mouth, disbelief causing my head to shake from side to side. "I can't believe this.  Just how many secrets are you keeping from me?"

I abruptly stand up, my chair flying back behind me. "I can't do this right now."

I turn on my heel and quickly leave the kitchen.  I grab a coat to throw over my pajamas from my room and exit the house.

I feel like everyone around me are keeping secrets from me.  Isn't there just one person who is completely open and honest with me?

I wipe my hot tears with the back of my hand, the salty breeze blowing strongly around me.  I kick off my flip flops, allowing the sand to touch my feet as I now stand in front of the ocean.  I numbly walk to the shoreline, the water wetting my feet.

A sad smile pulls at the corners of my lips as I see my younger self giggling in my mother's arms, the clear water surrounding us.

I wish that I could go back to those times when she still wrapped me in her embrace.

The memory before my eyes causes the sadness to consume me, the tears just flowing and flowing non-stop.  My body rack with sobs as I squat, tucking my legs into my chest.  I feel like I can't breathe even though the wind blows strongly. 

Everything is just coming at me all at the same time and it's too overwhelming.

I don't know if I should push back the fear and enter a relationship that could end my life.  I don't know if I should follow in my mother's footsteps and keep my distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lover Boy's P.O.V:

As I see her shoulders shake while she cries her heart out, it takes everything in me to not go and comfort her.

I know I shouldn't have visited her after all of the effort I have put in to prevent her from remembering the feelings that grew between us.  However, I knew that after what I said to her about her mother, she would be hurting in a way that I could never imagine.  Therefore, I couldn't stop myself from reaching out to her.

But now, I can't afford to be there with her anymore.  I need her to let me go so she won't get hurt.

That's why I'll just stay here, behind her, protecting her from the shadows, instead of being by her side.

Just like I have done all along.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer's P.O.V:

I take a deep breath in through my red nose and give my puffy eyes one last wipe before opening the front door of the house.

As I pull back in the door, I see Granny sitting in the living room settee with sad eyes and tight lips, flipping through what looks like an album.

She looks up at the sound of the door closing, her eyes glossy. "Come and sit down for a little bit.  I have something to tell you."

I silently enter the living room and take a seat next to her.  I look down at the photo album to see a black and white picture of a young lady kissing the cheek of a man. 

"This is me and a merman I once loved."  Granny quietly says, stroking the photo tenderly.

I look up at her in surprise." You loved a merman too?"

She lets out a breathy laugh." It seems to be a trait of ours to love mermen."

"Sadly."  I look down at my hands, my heart aching.

"Your mother's father left your mother and I back then.  After that I meet him, Alejandro."  Granny keeps her eyes on the picture. "When I heard of the consequences of loving him, I parted ways with him.  I had to be there for your mother.  However, I wish there was a way to stay with him and not leave your mother."

"Why didn't you tell Mum about the curse if you knew she was meeting Alon?" I ask.

Granny looks up at me with watery eyes." I know how painful it is to have to leave the one you love.  Back then, I had no choice because your mother had no one else to look after her.  I couldn't live my life just for myself.  However, you have me.  If she chose to stay with him, I could still be there for you just like how I am now."

"In the end, she followed your footsteps but wasn't saved." I say softly.

Granny holds both of my hands in hers."In order for one to be saved, they have to be able to control their feelings and heart.  Your mother couldn't do it like I did because her love for Alon was much deeper and stronger than mine for Alejandro.  Instead, she placed space between her and him by not returning to the island in order to slow down the freezing of her heart."

"Summer," She raises a hand to cup my cheek, a tear falling from her eye. "It hurt me so much to see your mother go through what she did and it would hurt me to see you go through the same thing.  However, you have to make the choice for yourself.  You have nothing to hold you back.  I don't want you to have any regrets because regret is much more painful than death itself."

I feel tears prick the corners of my eyes as I try to hold them back. 

I guess this is the misfortune of the women in my bloodline...

Forbidden love...