Chapter Nineteen- Broken hearts

Hey, everyone!  I'm so sorry for the very late update.  I had a throat infection and fevers off and on so I haven't been feeling very well lately :( However, I'm better now.  In order to make up for it, I'll be posting the very last chapter of Sea Salt on Sunday instead of next week.  Thank you to all of those who have been on the journey with me faithfully. 

I hope you enjoy the chapter! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~

{Chapter Nineteen}

On hearing his name, his eyes widen.

"It has been broken," Ocean says softly.

"What has been broken?" I ask, our faces only a few inches apart.

"The barrier that stops you from obtaining your memories.  It's said that it can be broken by a kiss."  He explains.

"I should've kissed you a long time ago then.  It would have saved me some trouble."  I chuckle.

Ocean looks away from me, stepping back to put some distance between us. "Summer, I can't do this."

"Why not? I've already made my decision."

"I would be practically carrying you to your grave." He runs a hand through his hair, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Ocean," I step forward to lessen the distance between us, holding his hand in mine. "I'm not asking you to be my knight in shining armor.  I'm just asking you to make me the happiest woman in the world with the little time I have left."

"I-" He starts but I cut him off.

"The process has already started.  My heart is already freezing, Ocean.  I don't want to draw out my days, regretting the day I parted with you." I look into his eyes, knowing that my gaze showed him every single emotion I'm feeling right now in this moment.  Fear, sadness but most importantly love.

I completely close the distance between us, my arms wrapping around his torso. "Please, Ocean.  This is my last wish."

I feel his arms finally whine around my back before his shoulders start to shake, his tears wetting my shoulder.  I soothingly stroke his hair, my heart aching because of the tears that fall for me.   My own tears run down my cheeks as his hold around me becomes tightener, almost as if he is afraid I would disappear.

I know that this is as hard of a decision for him as it was for me because I know that his love for me is as strong as my love for him.   Maybe, even stronger.

~~~~~~~~~~~

My mind races as I sit on my bed, waiting for Rebecca to pick up my call.  I had just returned from the beach and I knew that I had to see Rebecca before it's too late.  

What is the best way to tell your best friend that you're dying?  Should I just be blunt about it or should I- 

I have no more time to think as her voice finally makes its way out of the speaker. "Hello?"

"Hey, Rebecca," I reply as light and bright as possible,  my heart pounding.

"Hey, I haven't heard from you in forever," she says, her voice brightening.  "How are things going over there?"

"Yeah, sorry about that.  I've just been really busy lately but things are going well." I fidget with my shirt.  Yup, very busy.

"Are you sure everything is okay?" She asks causing my grip around the phone to tighten.  You really can't get anything pass your best friend.

"Actually," I drawl, "I have something to tell you."

She remains silent, patiently waiting for me to continue.