Chapter Five- Foreign Tears

{Chapter Five}

What should I do?

I bite my nails as I try to think of what my next step should be.  Left or right.

If I were Lover Boy, where would I hide the piece of my heart?

I think back on what has happened so far these last few days.

Since I came to the island everything has been linked to the beach...the pull, the tree, the cave and even the memories. When I entered the cave I heard the subtle sound of water and as I continued further, it got stronger. If everything so far has been surrounded by the beach and beaches are made up of sand and water, maybe the treasure is hidden where sand and water is.

So maybe... I should continue following the sound of the water.

I step towards the left and listen for the familiar motion of water. I hear it. Then I go to the next side and I hear it also. However, the sound is more powerful than that of the left. Therefore, I conclude that I should continue right.

Before entering the dark tunnel, I bring my bag in front of me and reach into it for a plastic bag of bread. As I walk, I leave a trail of bread behind me to ensure that I won't get lost when I'm leaving the cave.

For a few minutes, I step over rocks and slowly walk down the dark path until suddenly the open tunnel becomes enclosed with only a rectangular space from which soft, blue light escapes. I gingerly approach the opening, unsure of what could possibly be behind there. The melody of the water is now stronger than ever.

Is this a good idea? What if there is some sort of monster behind there? Come on, Summer, you're not three and you didn't come this far to turn back.

I swallow hard before pulling on my big girl panties and peeking around the wall. My eyes widen as I gape at the sight before me. If I thought the walls of the cave were shiny, then this is blinding.

Jewels in various shades of blue and green poke out of the jagged walls creating images of what seem to be mermaids. They shimmer as the small pool of water in the middle of the enclosed area reflects onto them.

I peel my fingers off the wall and cautiously continue until I stop at the edge of the pool. I look down and almost stumble back just as a huge fish passes cross the circular surface. Taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart, I turn away from the water.

I still need to find the piece of his heart.

My eyes travel along the glamorous walls, looking for anything that I can deem special. As I am about to give up and walk out of the room thinking that my hypothesis is wrong, my flashlight shines on an indentation in the wall containing a pile of sand. I walk up to it, willing myself not to have expectations just to have them crashing back down.

Once I stand directly in front of it, I brush away the sand with my hand. The top of a small treasure chest reveals itself from under the small grains. It's made out of a dark, rich wood and silver, metal designs curl and whine along the top.

A broad smile pulls the corners of my lips but quickly slips off when I notice there is a lock.

"You can't be serious," I moan. "Now, I have to find the key?"

I sigh loudly before examining the lock closely. It curves into a diamond.

Where can I get a diamond shape key? Do those even exist?

I step back in thought, throwing my head back with closed lids when I come up with nothing.

I slowly open my eyes and gasp, a light bulb going off in my head as I see the beautiful stones that litter the walls.

Will it really work? Maybe not but I have nothing to lose.

They have a similar shape to the key I need but I have to find the right size. I lower my head and another mermaid made of jewels comes into my view just above the indentation.

The small, cream gem that stands as the pendant of the mermaid's necklace looks like wants to fall off. Curiously, I brush my finger on it causing it to go tumbling onto the stone floor.

I squeal and cover my head with my arms, expecting the cave to shake and crumble on top of me, just like they do on television. However, the only thing that is heard is the echo of my panicked scream. Embarrassed and relieved, I pick it up the object and place it next to the lock to see if it's the key I need. I think it is.

Quickly, I push it into the metal obstruction. My eyes almost pop out of my head with astonishment as the gem starts to glow and the top of the chest slowly opens.

I sharply suck in a breath as my eyes land on the magnificent necklace that lies in a red, silk cloth. The pearl that acts as the pendant sparkles brightly even in the dull light shining on it. The chain consists of small, cream shells, their tips a beautiful shade of blue. The beautiful piece triggers off yet again another memory.

"I wish someone could give me a star." The teenage me says as Lover Boy and I lay on the sand staring at the blanket of stars above.

"Why?" He turns his head to the side to look at me.

"Doesn't it sound romantic? Your lover flying up and plucking a star from the sky for you?" I sigh dreamily as I imagine the heartwarming scene in my mind.

"I'll give you something better than a star." Lover Boy says, he looks back up at the stars.

"Really?" I look at him, excited.

"Yes, a piece of my heart."

As the scene plays before me in my mind, tears escape my eyes. I wipe the tears with shaky hands, not sure where the sudden sorrow came from. Not sure why my heart hurts so much.

"Why am I crying?" I look at my now wet fingertips in confusion.

Who are you that you can make me feel so... sad?