Chapter Seven- Mr. O

{Chapter Seven}

Those eyes...

I don't know how long I stand there, my eyes unblinking as I just stare into the unusually bright pools of his irises.  He says nothing as he stares right back at me, his face blank.  I can't believe it.  Could it really be him?  Am I just dreaming?  Is this all an illusion? 

I bring my hand up to pinch my arm and wince when my skin stings with a new red mark under my jacket.  I'm not dreaming...

"You..." I begin saying, my voice barely a whisper.  I look for some kind of recognition to flash across his face but instead an amused smile pulls the corners of his lips, showcasing perfect rows of white teeth.  

"I know my eyes are a bit breathtaking.  Everyone has the same reaction." He chuckles, holding out his hand towards me. "It's nice to meet you, Ms.Brathwaite.  I'm Mr. O.  Welcome to the firm."

Maybe I was wrong... Surely he would have recognized me and said something if he was Lover Boy.

I blink my eyes a few times, being pulled out of my shock. "Thank you, Mr.O."

I place my hand in his, feeling something like electricity shoot through it causing a soft gasp to leave my lips.  

Suddenly, my head starts spinning as another memory pushes it way through and plays before me.  

Lover Boy and I stand in the cave as children, facing each other.  My curls fall down my back in wet tresses as a pink bikini clothes my body.  Lover Boy wears a pair of beach shorts, his dark locks falling around his face. 

He holds out his pinky to me and says with a bright smile. "Let's be friends but you have to keep my secret.  Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise!  You're so cool, I always knew they existed!" I exclaim with joy, my own bright smile on my face as I wrap my pinky around his.

What secret?  What did I know?  Why is this so complicated?

I let out a breath I was holding as I return back to reality, the same eyes from my dreams looking at me with concern and the same dark locks from my memories swept back stylishly above them.

"Ms. Brathwaite!  Are you okay?" Mr. O asks me, shaking my shoulders gently.

"You're him, aren't you?" I whisper, my eyes glazing over with unwept tears.  

I see something flash in his eyes but I can't pick up what it is before it disappears.  "I'm not sure who you are talking about.  Are you okay?  Do you need to sit down or see a doctor?"

My chest tightens at his words and my eyebrows furrow in confusion at the sensation.

I feel a lump grow in my throat, my hands removing his from my shoulders. "I'm fine. Please excuse me."

I quickly turn away from a stunned Mr. O before striding to the door.  I swiftly push the handle down and open it, tears escaping my eyes.

 Why does it hurt to hear those words fall from his mouth?

I take a deep breath in as I exit the room, my hand pulling in the door behind me.  However, before the door shuts completely, I hear a sudden release of breath from the other side.  The sound confuses me even further.

I don't even know what to believe anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Attention everyone!" Charles, as he introduced himself, shouts while standing in the middle of the office with me by his side.

Everyone's eyes suddenly turn towards us, curiosity lighting up in them.  I nervously fiddle with my fingers as I try to remain composed.

"We have a new member of the team," he continues, with a big smile.  His friendly aura extracts some of the anxiety from my rigid frame. "This is Summer Brathwaite.  Please make her feel welcomed!"

Suddenly a round of applause fills the room, almost making me jump six feet in the air.

Charles chuckles at my reaction before pointing to a desk next to one belonging to a stunning brunette. "That will be your desk."

"Thank you." I smile before straightening my back and walking to the desk, ensuring that I don't trip over my feet.  That would be embarrassing. 

As I take a seat in the soft and awfully comfortable computer chair, the brunette looks my way.  

"Hey, my name's Rosa," Rosa says, giving me a little wave and her red lips pulling into a smile.   An accent slips off her tongue as the words leave her mouth.  

"Summer." I state politely. "By the way, I love your accent."

"Gracias (Thank you)," she smoothly replies in her mother tongue, her expression never changing.  

Before I can stop the words from rolling off my tongue, I say, "No pasa nada (No problem)."

"¿Tú hablas español? (Do you speak Spanish?)" Her rich, brown eyes widen a bit with excitement.  Girl, I'm just as stunned as you!  

I try my best to hide my shock as I answer. "Un poquito (A little)."

"¡Qué chevére! Seamos amigas (How cool! Let's be friends)."

"De acuerdo (Okay)," I drawl, still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I am easily talking in a language that I never spoke in my life.

More and more strange things keep happening and I just don't know what to expect next.