Chapter Three-Blue Laser

{Chapter Three}

My feet trace the steps of those belonging to the blue eyed boy and I from the past.  A sharp branch from a nearby tree scraps my arm as I brush it away. However, I feel nothing as the determination to put an end to this mystery is my only focus. A few more steps further, the tree finally comes into view. My eyes travel up its dark trunk to its thick branches that sprout leaves as wide as my palm and as long as from my wrist to my elbow. I've never seen anything like it.  

Everything about it is beautiful. The way it elegantly tilts to the right, the leaves that block anything behind them painted an unusual, bright shade of green. The way the wind shyly passes through the spaces of the leaves causing them to sway. The way the dark trunk contrasts so lovely with the bright color that litters the branches.

With careful, slow steps, I walk up to the tree until my fingers graze its coarse bark. My eyes widen when I see something engraved in it. I couldn't see it before as a result of being mesmerized by the beauty of the tree but up this close I could never miss it. I could never miss the perfect heart that surrounds the inscription S + O.

I swiftly pull the letter out of the waistband of my leggings and with frantic eyes read it over. It's the same exact handwriting and even the same O at the end. But how can it look so perfectly carved? So much so that it looks like it jumped off the paper and onto the rough bark? 

I stumble back a few steps as the similar pain clouds my thoughts. Unlike last time , it is bearable and I'm not fearful of the occurrence. I take deep breaths in and out as another memory starts to play again.

This time, the teenage version of the little boy and I huddle in front the bark of the Blowing Seaweed. 

"What are you doing?" The boy asks, his dark locks falling into his eye.

"Putting our initials on the tree.  That way everyone will know its our territory."  I smile up at him. 

He smiles down at me before gently nudging me to the side with his shoulder. "I got this."

"Very well." I step back and watch as he works his magic.

He lifts his hand and points his tan finger to the bark.  Blue light, similar to that of a laser, shooting out from his fingertip. I gasp in astonishment and excitement as it breaks through the bark and carves a perfect heart with our initials in the middle in his awfully elegant, cursive writing. It looks way better than anything I could ever carve out with a sharp rock. 

"Oh my gosh! It's amazing!" I squeal before wrapping my arms around him. 

The scent of sea water hits my nose. I never smelt a better scent in my life. It is nothing like that of the sea. It smells sweet, crisp and fresh. It is comforting and holds such security. I wish I could bottle it and spray it on me everyday.

I feel his body tense in surprise and his heart pounds against my ear. It makes me smile. His warm arms wrap around my back and I swear I almost melt into his touch.

The memory floats away once again and questions crash into my mind from left, right and center.

Did I really just see a boy shoot a laser from his finger?  Did the teenage me just hug that said boy like he couldn't slice off her head at any moment with a swift flick of his finger? I'm officially crazy. I have finally gone over the edge.

For the second time since I returned to the island, I find myself running for the hills. My legs pump with speed that can challenge Usain Bolt at the Olympics until I finally make it back to safety. Home.

~~~~~~~~

"Granny, I'm officially crazy."  I sigh as I sit on the railing of the patio. 

The rocking chair soothingly moves Granny back and forth as she raises an eyebrow at me. "What makes you say that?"

I vent everything to her, from the letter right down to what happened today.

"Oh, you do sound like you have a handful there." She nods.  "But if it is a memory, then you can't be crazy, dear."

"You actually believe what I just told you?" I look at her with surprise.

Granny's eyes smile with mirth. "Of course, child. Should I not believe you and then you actually go crazy because you think you're crazy?"

I ponder on her words for a moment. "I must say, Granny, I love your logic."

"Aww, you flatter me, dear."

I chuckle, feeling a whole lot better about the situation now.

"What should I do, Granny? What if this person is psychotic or something?"  I wait for her reply expectingly, needing her wisdom at this very moment.

"You said you think it's Lover Boy?" She places a hand on her chin in thought.

"Well...not in those exact words, but sure."

"In any of these memories did he give you a reason to think he is dangerous?"

"Besides being able to shoot lasers, no."

"Then you should try to find who it is," Granny concludes. " One thing I don't understand though is why you can't remember Lover Boy. However, considering the fact he gave you a letter, it probably means he wanted you to remember."

"Do you think that maybe he erased my memory?" I abruptly jump off the railing, disbelief evident in my voice.

"I don't know but if he can shoot lasers as you said, anything is possible." She shrugs.  I still can't believe she is so calm about this.

"But why?" I ask softly, still shocked at the possibilities.

"You'll have to find out."