003. Bliss

*Emma's POV*

*Emma's POV*

Billy and I had spent basically every waking minute together, and it truly felt like we were back home in California. Like nothing had changed and like we were back on the same path we'd been on before he left. The path to a relationship, something more than just friends.

I was home in the office space waiting for Billy to come around. I sat down at the piano and smiled as I started playing a song I'd written. I titled it "New Year's Day." (In this story, Emma has written "NYD" by T Swift). The song was written with Billy and my relationship in mind. I'd started writing it almost a year before after we'd kissed for the first time at the strike of midnight on New Year's and finished it when he moved away. That, however, was the first time I played it all the way through. About half way through the song, I felt a presence behind me, but I figured it was my mom or maybe one of our pets. I didn't bother stopping. I sang to myself and smiled as all the memories of Billy and I rushed through my mind.

"Look at you," I heard from behind me as I finished. I turned, startled. Billy stood there with a big smile on his face.

"Hey," I smiled nervously, "When did you get here?" I questioned.

"I'd say a solid four or five minutes ago," he said, "Long enough to hear that song." He walked to me and cupped my cheek. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's about me," he whispered, "but you don't still feel that way about me, do you?" I bit my lip as I looked up at him. His eyes flickered from my eyes to my lips before he connected them to his own. I melted into the kiss and rested my hand on his chest. "You make this place feel like paradise," He muttered as he pulled away, keeping his forehead pressed onto mine.

"I was so scared you'd found someone else here already," I confessed, still not pulling away.

"No one in this shit hole compares to you," he chuckled, "No one even comes close." He connected our lips one more time. "Let's go to my place. We can grab lunch and just listen to music like we used to." I nodded. He intertwined our hands and we walked out. I noticed his car wasn't there.

"No blue steel today?" I questioned.

"I thought a walk might be nice," he said.

"In the cold?" I giggled. He laughed and shrugged. We reached his house after about 20 minutes of walking. I don't really think either of us minded the cold. Billy led me inside and told me to wait in the livingroom. Max came out from her room and stared at me in shock for a second.

"Emma?" she asked. I smiled and waved.

"Hey, Max," I said, "How are you?"

"I'm good," she said, "What are you doing here? I thought you lived in California."

"Yeah, I did. I moved up here. My dad got relocated for work," I told her, "How do you like it here? Pretty different than back home, huh?"

"Yeah, very different," she smiled, "It's not too bad though."

"I met some of your friends the other day. They seem nice," I told her.

"Dustin and Will?" she asked. I nodded. "Yeah, they wouldn't shut up about Steve's new pretty friend," She said with a light laugh.

"Em, come on," Billy said, "Maxine. Keep it quiet, okay?" She rolled her eyes and nodded.

"I'll see you around, Max," I smiled as I followed her stepbrother to his room. It looked just like his room back home. It was neat, there were weights on the floor, and a big mirror in front of his workout area. Billy came in and pressed his lips onto mine as soon as he closed the door. I smiled as I started to his him back. My hands traveled up to his hair and my fingers tangled themselves in his long hair. We did just what he said we would. We stayed in and watched movies, listened to music and talked. It was like I was dreaming. I couldn't believe we were together. Or at least on the right path towards being together. "So, what happened with Steve?" I asked, "Why do you two dislike each other so much?"

"Let's not talk about that," he said, "Let's talk about your plans for tomorrow night. It's New Year's Eve." I smiled and shrugged. "Let's go to a party. Let me be your midnight," him quoting my song gave me chills. I smiled at him.

"I'll ask my dad," I said, "But you have to promise to tell me about the Steve situation soon, and why he and so many other people here think you're an asshole." He rolled his eyes and nodded. "Do you remember the day we became best friends?" I asked as I stared at the ceiling.

"Yeah, you gave me half of your PB&J and I thought I was in love with you," he laughed, "Things were much simpler in 1st grade." I laughed too and shook my head. "Do you remember our first kiss?" he questioned. I nodded.

"That's what my song was centered around," I told him, "I started writing it pretty soon after that happened, but I never actually finished it until you moved away."

"And why is that?" He asked. 

I smiled to myself and looked at the time. 5:30. "That's a story for another day. I need to get going. I promised my parents I'd be back for dinner."

"I'll drive you," he said. I shook my head.

"No, you stay here with Max. I'll walk," I told him. Before he could protest, I got up and rushed out the door. The walk home felt a little longer without Billy, but it was still manageable. I got home just in time for dinner. I helped set the table before helping my mom bring everything up.

"So, you and Billy have been spending quite a bit of time together," my mom said.

"Yeah, we're just so happy to be back together," I smiled, "You know he's always been my best friend." She nodded.

"I met the chief of the police station today," my dad spoke up, "Nice guy. Looking for a baby sitter for his little girl. Gave him your information." I nodded and smiled at him as I ate my food. I brought up New Years and they said they were actually going to a reunion a few towns over. "I already know why you brought it up and yes, but same rules as always," he said. I smiled and thanked him excitedly.