005. Aftermath

*BILLY'S POV*

*BILLY'S POV*

I messed up bad, real bad. I didn't understand how I'd let something that I was so excited about and that I wanted so badly just slip through my fingers. No I didn't just let it slip. I took it and threw it in the trash myself. I wasn't upset because I'd fucked up with a girl, I did that on the daily, but I was upset because I'd fucked up with my best friend.

Emma and I had met because our mom's were good friends. We'd known each other since birth basically, the longest we'd ever been apart was when I moved to Hawkins, and now I'd practically lost her forever because I was such a dick head. What made this whole situation worse was that Harrington was comforting her over something I'd done.

I woke up the next morning, or afternoon I guess, with a pounding headache to my dad yelling for me from the livingroom. I groaned as I got out of bed and made my way over to him. Him, Susan and Maxine were at the dining table with food set up.

"What's this about?" I asked.

"Your mother and I wanted to start the new year with a family lunch," my dad answered.

"She's not my mother," I spat as I turned around and started walking to my room. I was stopped halfway there before I got slammed against the wall. At this point, was kind of used to it. I'd say something my dad didn't like, he'd blow up, I'd leave.

"Why the fuck are you always like this, Billy?" He asked, "You're a part of this family, so start fucking acting like it. Now, you're going to sit down and eat a meal with us like Susan planned, and you're going to act like you like it. Are we clear?"

I didn't answer. I just shoved him off of me and followed him back out to the dining room. I sent the fakest smile I could to my step mom as I sat down. I didn't argue with my dad because I wanted to go see Emma and I knew the more of a fight I put up for this, the harder it'd be for me to leave the house. The "family" lunch was pointless. The only people actually talking and engaging in conversation were my dad and Susan. Neither Max or I really said anything unless something was said to us first. Max still wasn't my favorite person in the world, but she was becoming more tolerable.

As soon as I finished the food on my plate, I got up from the table and went back to my room. I couldn't leave things how they were with Emma; I needed to apologize. After changing and making myself look more presentable, I left my house and made my way over to Emma's. Her parents' cars were both in the driveway, so that meant she was probably home too. I fixed my hair one last time in my mirror before getting out and making my way to her door. I knocked three times before her mom came to the door.

"Mrs. Johnson," I smiled, "Is there any chance I could possibly talk to Em?"

"Hi Billy," she said, "I'm so sorry, Emma left earlier. She left before her dad and I got here. She just left a note saying she was going out with her friend Scott? Sean?" She trailed off trying to remember the name.

"Steve?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Steve! That's it!" Mrs. Johnson smiled, "I'll tell her you came by though."

"Thank you so much," I said, forcing a smile, "Will you tell her to give me a call too?"

"Of course, sweetie," she said, "Take care." I offered her a small wave as I walked to my car, defeated. I slammed the door and sped off. How could she leave and not wait for me to come talk to her? And with Harrington of all people. I sped back home and locked myself in my room. I pulled out a cigarette and just laid in my bed, staring up at the ceiling.

I stayed inside the whole day, just trying to think of ways to make things better and fix my relationship with Emma. I came up with a lot of ideas and things I could do, but I also came to the conclusion that all I could do was hope that Emma would be willing to forgive me.