009. Jane Hopper

*Emma's POV*

*Emma's POV*

The next day felt like the last, with the exception of a slightly awkward car ride to school. I don't think Billy or I really knew how to act around each other. We'd never had a fight that had ended that badly, or badly period. The two of us were usually able to talk out our issues and sort of keep things good between us. I was starting to think that the new setting was tearing us apart.

Lunch with Steve made up for things. He introduced me to Nancy and Jonathan, officially. I could tell they were a thing, but there was also the slightest bit of tension between them and Steve. I couldn't figure out why though. Classes started and ended, not too much homework was assigned, which was good because I didn't know how much of it I'd be able to do while babysitting or what time I'd actually be making it home. The thing I had to look forward to the most was meeting the little girl I'd be babysitting.

My mom made a little bit of time in her busy schedule to be able to take me to the chief's house before she had to go to work, and then she'd promised to pick me up when I gave her a call. The house I was dropped off in front of was small. It was more of a little cabin, but I figured their family was small like mine and didn't need that much room. Chief Hopper was already waiting outside when my mom and I arrived. My mom didn't get out of the car though, it was just me. I walked over to where he was standing with a friendly smile on my face.

"Hi, you must be Emma," he said as he extended a hand out to me. I shook it and nodded.

"I am, it's very nice to meet you," I said.

"You as well," he said, "So, Jane is a quiet little girl. She basically takes care of herself, but I feel much better having someone stay here with her while I'm out on the job. You can never be too safe. She's 14. She should stay out of your hair for the most part. If you need anything, my number is posted on the fridge, give me a call alright? Oh, and one more thing, no guests, yeah?" I nodded and he led me to the front door. "Jane! Emma is here. Don't give her too much trouble, I'll be back by 8," he yelled. A little girl, not much shorter than me acame out of what I assumed was a room. She offered the chief a small wave before he exited the house.

"Hi Jane," I smiled, "I'm Emma." The girl with short curly brown locks stared at me and waved.

"Hi, Emma," she said quietly.

After that, she retreated back into the room she'd come from and didn't make much noise. All I could hear from the livingroom was the sound of the TV. I shrugged and sat myself down on the couch and pulled out some of my homework. I worked on it for about half an hour before I started getting a little apprehensive about the little girl not coming out of the room. I stood up from my seat and walked over. I knocked gently and smiled at the little girl when she opened the door.

"Hey, sorry if I'm interrupting," I began, "I just got a little worried. You okay?." She simply nodded, not saying anything. "This is the easiest babysitting job I've ever landed," I joked, "Are you hungry? Can I make you a snack?" I asked, "It doesn't have to be healthy. I won't tell your dad." She shot me a small smile and nodded again. "Alright," I cheered, "What are we making you?"

"Eggos," she replied.

"Nice choice," I smiled, "They're my favorites too." She smiled again as I walked over to the kitchen, and placed two eggos in the toaster for her. When they popped out of the toaster, I pulled them out, placed them on a plate, and then placed them in front of her on the table. "Here ya go, kiddo," I said. I watched as she poured a little bit of syrup on the waffles and started eating them. She looked straight at me for a moment and smiled.

"Pretty," she said as she pointed at me, making me smile back at her. This girl was adorable.

"Me?" I asked, she nodded in response, "You're one to talk. You're a gorgeous little one," I told her. After she finished her food, I thought she was just going to go back to her room and lock herself up again, but she didn't. She brought out a book to the living room and sat with me. I smiled to myself, it kind of felt like an accomplishment.

I could tell that there was something different about this little girl. In no way did she remind me of myself or any other girl her age that I'd ever met. She was quiet and seemed all too innocent, but there was also something else. For a moment, I thought maybe she had an impediment, but I knew that wasn't it. She was really smart. She did seem like she had some issues with social interaction, but it didn't seem like the big thing that was off. I gave up on trying to figure it out and just focused on getting the girl out of her shell. She was very serious at first, but by the end of the night, we were having a full blown pillow fight. She was talking a little bit more and she didn't seem as tense as when I'd gotten there. At around 6, I made her dinner and then we hung out for another little while before I put her to bed.

"Emma," she whispered as I started leaving the room after making sure she was going to sleep. I turned to look at her with a small smile. "Will you be coming back?" She asked. I nodded.

"If you and your dad want me to, I'll be here," I told her, the smile not leaving my face. She nodded and I exited the room. I worked on my homework for another little while before the chief came, I called my mom and she picked me up. The pay wasn't the best, but I didn't mind. I was basically getting paid to do my school work and hang out with a cool kid. I was actually looking forward to getting to see the little girl again.