020. Where Did She Go?

*Steve's POV*

*Steve's POV*

I felt awful about the way I'd treated Emma. The kids had told me about her being a lot closer to Billy this year and it irritated me. I guess I took the frustration I felt toward her and Billy's friendship out on her. It just hurt to know that I might not have the advantage over Billy that I did last year. Now he was closer to her and they spent way more time together, and it sucked. Anyway, I felt like crap about it, and I drove to her house in the hopes of finding her and apologizing. However, when I got there, I saw a police car outside of her house and her parents standing outside. Her mom was crying while her dad talked to one of the officers. I rushed over and asked what had happened.

"Oh, Steve," her mom cried, "Do you know where she went? You've got to know something."

"Where who went?" I questioned, "Is it Emma? Is she okay?"

"We don't know, son," her dad answered, "She left us this note, and we haven't heard from her since this morning." He handed me a piece of paper with Emma's handwriting. The note read: "Mom, Dad, I'm fine. I'm leaving for a few days. I don't know exactly how many, but I'll be back at some point. Please do not look for me, that's not why I'm leaving this. I just want you guys to know that I'm safe."

"She had to have left after we talked," I said when I finished reading, "I talked to her after school, she hasn't been gone for too long. She left with Hargrove, so maybe he knows where she went." Her mom rushed in and called someone, presumably the Hargroves, but she came back a few minutes later still crying. "Anything?" I asked.

"He hasn't come home either," she cried, "This is all your fault George, if you hadn't yelled at her and made her feel like shit this morning, she'd probably still be here!" She'd also fought with her parents that morning and I yelled at her too. I felt like absolute scum.

"Mrs. Johnson, it's okay. She'll come back," I said, not actually knowing if it was true, "She's a smart and responsible girl. She just needed some time."

"Thanks, Steve," her dad said, "Let us know if you find out anything, okay?" I nodded before going back to my car and heading home. It was a restless night of me trying to figure out how to explain to the kids that Emma was gone indefinitely.

*Emma's POV*

Billy and I left Hawkins on a Thursday afternoon and spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Chicago. It was probably the best time I'd had in a long while. It was like we actually didn't have a care in the world and we could just be us for a little while. I just wanted things to be like that forever, but I knew that that wasn't realistic ant that we'd have to go home at some point.

"We're going to need to go home soon," I sighed as Billy and I walked hand in hand on that Sunday afternoon.

"We're having so much fun though," he whined, "We can stay a few more days." I let out a chuckle and shook my head no.

"No, we need to head back, all our friends and our families are probably starting to get really worried," I sighed. I was also starting to want to help Steve and the gang. I felt bad for not being there for them when they needed me, but then also kind of expecting some of them to be there for me when I was going through a hard time. I wanted to be there for my kiddos. I was still very upset at Steve for the last comment he made when we were talking, but the rest of the gang wasn't at fault for that.

"Ugh, I hate it when you're right," he groaned, "Dinner and then we head back?" I smiled and nodded. Dinner was really nice, I was going to miss the chinese food restaurant we'd found since it was the closest thing to the one back home near us. The car ride home was filled with us listening to music and laughter. This semester had really felt like us getting back to the way we were back home and maybe even closer. I loved spending time with Billy. When we finally reached my house, I saw Steve's car parked outside next to my parents'. Billy and I shared a confused look.

"Do you want me to walk you to the door?" he asked.

"No," I said, looking back out toward my house, "I think I should handle this one on my own." He placed his hand on top of mine, making me look back at him. He gave me a small smile, and I returned it. "I'll see you tomorrow at the library at school, early as usual?" I questioned.

"Of course," he smiled. I gave him a quick hug before exiting the car and walking to my door. Billy sped off behind me, and I saw the front door open. My parents and Steve rushed out. My parents pulled me into a tight hug. I smiled a little and hugged them back.

"You scared the living hell out of us," my dad said, "but we'll talk about that later. Right now we're just glad you're home."

"Let's get you inside," my mom said, "have you eaten?" I let out a chuckle and nodded.

"Wait," Steve said, "Can I talk to Ems for a second? I promise we'll be right in." My mom nodded and led my dad inside, closing the door behind them. I was still mad at Steve, so I didn't want to say anything to him just yet.

*Steve's POV*

We stood in silence for a few moments after her parents walked inside. I tried pulling her into a hug, but she didn't hug me back. I figured I deserved that for what I'd said to her the last time we'd spoken. I didn't mind that though. I was just glad to have her back and safe.

"I know you're mad, but I'm so glad to have you back," I said, "I felt so bad that you just happened to go missing after our conversation and everything I said to you." She just stared at me and I could see the tears welling up in her eyes. Seeing her looking so vulnerable made my heart hurt. "I care so much about you and I'm so sorry that happened," I told her. She rolled her eyes and stepped back as she crossed her arms. "What?" I asked, not quite sure why she was acting that way.

"That's all bullshit, Steve," ouch, "You don't care about me. You said it yourself, you don't even really know who I am. Not even after I opened up to you and really tried to show you what kind of person I am." I could hear the anger in her voice. "Apparently in order for me to be the kind of person you thought I was, I have to be perfect all the time and be at your disposal 24/7. Right now the only reason you're here is to try to get me to be on your 'team' or whatever to fight that monster thing." she said, "Thanks for being here for my parents, but I'm back now, and I don't want to be around you right now." She pushed past me and walked inside her house, leaving me outside, heartbroken once again.

I walked to my car and drove myself home. It was yet another sleepless night. I hurt Emma. I really really hurt her. If I hadn't lost her before, I'd definitely lost her now. There was no doubt in my mind about it.