027. The Choice

*Emma's POV*

I waited two days. Two whole days before talking to either of them about anything having to do with my feelings. I'd made the choice, but that didn't mean it was any easier for me to have to tell them. Something about the whole situation scared the crap out of me. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I was scared that saying yes to one of them would alter my relationship with the other. I didn't want to lose either one of them as a friend. For a little while before actually talking to them, I considered lying and saying that I didn't want to be with either of them, but the thought of that just hurt because if I did that I wouldn't be letting just one of them down.

It was a Saturday night when I decided to do it. Billy and I had plans to hang out. It was around 2:30 when he picked me up from my house and we went out for a walk on the edge of the quarry. I felt nervous the entire time leading up to the moment I decided to bring things up, but I knew if I didn't do it then, I would chicken out and the whole situation would be dragged on a lot longer.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked, "you're being kind of quiet."

"Yeah," I sighed, "I just need to talk to you about something, and I'm really nervous." He reached down and grabbed a hold of my hand. He brought it up to his lips and pressed a gentle kiss onto it.

"You can talk to me about anything," he said, "whatever it is." I smiled at him and nodded.

"I love you, Billy," I began, his face brightened, but fell as soon as he realized I wasn't done, "and I always will. I just feel like maybe our time has passed. You're so special to me, and you know that but," I stopped, I didn't know if I would be able to do it.

"But you choose Harrington," he said. I felt a tear start running down my face. "Hey, it's okay," he said reassuringly as he pulled me into a hug, "There's nothing wrong with that. I understand."

"I'm so sorry," I cried.

"Shhh," he said quietly, "I'm not mad. I could never be mad at you, especially over something like this." He just held me for a while until I managed to calm down.

"You don't hate me?" he shook his head in response, "And we're still best friends?" He smiled and nodded again.

"Have you told him?" he asked. I shook my head no, "well, let's get you back so you can." I smiled at him as we walked back towards where we'd parked his car.

We talked and things were only slightly awkward for a little bit. When we got to my house, he walked me to my door and I hugged him before turning to go inside. I pressed my back to my door and took a deep breath before going to the kitchen and snatching my mom's car keys off the counter. I ran outside and into my mom's car before driving to the police station. It was almost 4, so I hopped that I would find him before he went home for the night.

I smiled to myself as I saw him walking out. His hair standing out in the crowd of officers with their hats on. I turned off the car and got out, leaning against the side of it as I waited for him to notice me. When he finally did, he smiled back at me and excused himself as he walked over to me.

"What are you doing here, Em?" he asked. I took a deep breath before I pushed myself off the car, walked over to him, wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my lips to his. He didn't hesitate to kiss me back. His hands went to my waist and he pulled me closer. When we finally pulled away, he rested his forehead on top of mine.

"It's you," I told him as I looked up at him. "If you still like me and still want to be with me, I'd love nothing more than just that." He didn't say anything. He just smiled and pressed his lips back onto mine.

"Just in case that wasn't clear," he said, "That's a hard yes."

"Oh thank god," I giggled.

"All this time, I thought I'd be the one to ask you out," he joked.

"Well technically, I didn't ask you out either," I told him, "I just told you how I feel about you."

"Good point," he smiled, "Emma, will you be my girlfriend?" I smiled back at him widely and nodded. He pulled me into a tight hug and in that moment, I felt complete.

a/n: and there you have it... this part is a little short, but there's still some more to come. let me know what you guys think