024. Safe

A/N: I think this is one of my favorite chapters

A/N: I think this is one of my favorite chapters. I hope you all like this. I'm posting this right now as I'm writing the next part. I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow, but it might not be done. It's coming to an end here soon though. There's 4 more parts plus an epilogue, so not too much more left :(

Voting for who she ends up with will end after part 26 is posted! So comment, comment, comment (or shoot me a message people have been doing that as well and I'm counting those in the final tally)! 

p.s. I don't know why this chapter was published, it wasn't even finished. Wattpad has been acting up these last few days, has anyone else been having issues with it?

*Emma's POV*

I didn't know what to think about what I had just been through. I didn't know how or why it had happened, but I knew that it had and I didn't know how to feel. I was so alone and vulnerable. I thought about how Will must have felt and I just wanted to cry. No one deserved to go through that. I didn't even realize when the portal thing was closed, or when people started gathering around me. I was in shock.

"Em," I head, "Emma, are you okay?" It was multiple voices asking that, but I couldn't find my words. I was speechless.  I just registered seeing Steve and Billy in the upside down and then where we were then, and all I could do was cry again and hug them.

"Shhh, it's okay, we've got you now," Steve said as he rubbed my back, "You're okay now."

"I was so scared," I finally said, "I didn't think I would see any of you guys again. I thought I was going to die."

"No, no, no," he said, "You were such a badass back there, you could've made it out without us no problem." I smiled a little though the tears and pulled him closer. "Seriously," he chucked, "You were beating the absolute shit out of that thing, how many others did you encounter?"

"There were three more in the woods," I sobbed, "and that huge thing, it knew where I was the whole time."

"We've got you, it's okay," he kept repeating. It was really comforting, actually. We pulled away after a little bit longer and I turned to look at the rest of the people there.

"Son, you should take her home. She's been through a lot today," Hopper told Steve, "We meet tomorrow when you all get out of school." He turned to me and gave me a tight hug. "You did really good, kid," he whispered, "We're going to take care of this, you're safe now." I felt myself start crying again. I hugged Hopper back and just held on tight for a moment before letting go.

"Uh, I'll take you and Max home too while I'm at it," Steve said to Billy. Steve walked ahead to his car, Billy walked beside me and wrapped one of his arms around his shoulder.

"You really were a badass back there," He whispered, "and Harrington isn't that bad either. I know you want care about him a lot, and I want you to know that if you choose him, as much as it'll hurt, I understand and I'll still be there as your best friend." With that, he opened the front door on the passenger side and helped me in.
The car ride consisted of Steve and Billy talking and actually having a civilized conversation about what had happened. Max and I exchanged confused looks here and there, but neither one of us said anything. After we dropped them off, we made our way to my house and he helped me out. Neither one of my parents cars were in the driveway and I instantly got worried that they might have gone out to look for me. I ran inside, and a wave of relief washed over me when I read the note they left for me saying they'd gone out with some of their friends for dinner and drinks.

"They're out with friends," I told Steve as I walked back out to him.

"Awesome," he smiled, "I guess, um, I'll, uh, go now?" he said.

"Wait," I called out, "I don't want to be alone right now. Will you stay?" He smiled and nodded. I waited for him by the door as he turned off his car and made his way over to me. Once we were inside, I took a quick shower and I made my way back to my room. Being there gave me flashbacks of when I was hiding.

"Hey, you okay?" Steve asked, standing up and coming up beside me. I snapped out of my thoughts and nodded.

"Uh, yeah," I answered, "Let me just change real quick, I'll be right back," I told him as I grabbed some comfy clothes and walked back to the bathroom and changed.

I stared at myself in the mirror for a moment. I didn't even look like myself anymore. I figured out that I'd only been in that place for a few hours, but it'd felt like days. My eyes were dull and I had bags underneath them. My skin was pale and my arm had a gnarly scratch from one of the encounter with the monsters. Just thinking about it made me want to cry. I kept staring at myself until I heard a loud knock, making me jump.

"Ems, everything okay?" Steve's voice asked. I relaxed instantly.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a minute," I called out. I took a deep breath and started brushing through my hair. It wasn't long before I finished and made my way back to my room. Steve was on my bed looking out my window. "Hey, you good?" I asked, breaking him out of his train of thought.

"I thought I'd lost you," he said, "And the worst part of it all was that I thought I'd lost you and that you still hated me."

"I could never hate you," I told him, "I was scared that I'd never seen you again and we'd left off in a fight too though." He gave me a small smile and pulled me into a hug as I sat down next to him on my bed. "Let's never fight again, deal?" I asked.

"Deal," he smiled. "Are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?" I sighed and nodded.

"I was so scared the whole time," I told him, "I felt like the big monster knew I was there and that it knew you guys were coming to get me. After El told me you all were coming, I just wanted to tell you guys not to because I thought it was using me as bait. I would've rather died than had any of you guys get hurt."

"Don't say that," he interrupted.

"It's true, Steve. I would never want any of you guys to get in harm's way because of me. I was even more scared about you guys coming after I encountered those lizards in the woods and in your house. I don't even know how I managed to fight them off. I didn't think I'd be able to, especially after one of them gave me this," I showed him the gash on my arm, "I don't even feel it though."

"Emma, I'm so sorry. If we hadn't forced you to get involved, this wouldn't have happened," he said.

"You guys didn't force me to do anything. I did it because I love you all so much and I just wanted to help," I told him. He smiled as he looked down at the bedspread.I stared at him and blushed a little when he caught me.

"So, you and Billy are best friends now?" I questioned, breaking the silence that had fallen upon us.

"I wouldn't say that, but you were right. He's not so bad after all," He smiled. I let out a giggle and nodded. "Listen, I know you and him go way back and that you've had on and off feelings about him for a long time, and I hope you know that even though I really like you too, I won't be mad if you choose him, assuming that you still want to be with either one of us," he said. I was confused as to why both of them were telling me all that at that moment. We talked for a while longer before he fell asleep.
I laid awake staring at the ceiling. I felt like every time I closed my eyes, I was back there, alone.  My parents called at around 1AM and told me they'd had a bit to drink and were staying there until the next day when they'd be sobered up. It was kind of a relief since I wouldn't have to explain why Steve was spending the night on a school night. I tossed and turned all night, but managed to get no sleep at all. I wouldn't be okay for a while and I think I knew that, everyone did.