008. Steve the Good Guy

*Emma's POV*

*Emma's POV*

I called Steve as soon as I got up to my room and asked him to come over to hang out before we went down to the diner. We worked on our homework for a little while before my mom got home. I knew if we stayed much longer we wouldn't be able to leave the house because my mom would find a way to keep us there for dinner, and I explained that to Steve, but he didn't listen. He insisted on staying and finishing his reading for one of his classes before we could leave. It took him about half an hour to finish. I led him downstairs where my mom was getting dinner ready in the kitchen.

"Sweetie," she called out, "What are you doing?" I groaned as I turned on my heel and walked to the kitchen, plastering a smile on my face before actually entering. Steve was trailing behind me.

"Nothing mom," I answered, "Steve and I were just heading over to the little diner on the edge of town for some burgers and milkshakes."

"Oh, well why don't you guys stay for dinner? I'm making some salad, your dad's picking up some fried chicken and he'll be here soon," she said. Steve perked up at the mention of fried chicken. I laughed a little and raised my eyebrows at him slightly.

"Steve, do you want to stay for fried chicken?" I asked. He raised his eyebrows back at me and did a puppy face, meaning that he did in fact want to stay for dinner. I smiled at my mom, "I guess we're staying."

"Great," she smiled back, "Steve, it's nice to see you by the way."

"You too Mrs. Johnson, how are things at the hospital?" he asked.

"They're good, thank you for asking," she said, "How was the first day back for the both of you?" she questioned.

"Uneventful," Steve sighed.

"Yeah, nothing too interesting happened," I agreed, "School is just school as always." We talked for a few more minutes before she told us we could go wait in the livingroom. "I told you if we stayed any longer we wouldn't be going to the diner," I told him.

"But your dad is getting KFC so..." he said. I laughed and rolled my eyes at him. "How did it go with Billy?" he asked.

"It was okay," I sighed, "We talked things out, I guess. I don't know. I don't think I'll be able to fully forgive him for a while, much less date him."

"So you're talking, but he's not forgiven?" he asked. I nodded.

"I guess I owe him that," I frowned, "I don't know. I don't think things will be able to go back to the way they were. I mean, I pour my heart out to the guy and play the song I wrote for him and he sleeps with another girl."

"You wrote a song for him?" Steve smirked. I let out a laugh and pushed him a little, "I need to hear this." I shook my head no. "Come on! I won't bring it up ever again. Just let me hear it once," he begged.

"Ugh, fine," I groaned, "but you can't make fun of it or tell anyone about it, deal?" He nodded as he followed me to the study. He sat next to me on the piano chair and I smiled over at him as i started playing the song.