Veronica Chapter 5

Sun streams through the window. My eyes flutter open. I momentarily freak out when I realize that I'm not at school, but then I remember that awful day.

Well I should get started. My boots hit the ground, and I stumble to my laptop. With the electricity back on I was able to hack into the security cameras. I had a decent view of the front door and the stair well. The back view was a tad blurry, but I could still see things. I programmed the cameras to alert me if there is movement.

Once that is done I scower the building for food. In one room I found some M.R.E.'s. How lucky is that? I move on to the next room. Not as much luck there, but I found some candles.

After I filled up a sack I decide to go back up to my suit. About half way up the last flight of stairs everything starts to get blurry. I stop, and fling my arms out to grab something before I fall.

"NO!" I scream. My electric contacts went out. I was born with terrible vision so I kind of need glasses or contacts.

Somehow I manage to scramble up the stairs without severely injuring myself. How that happened is a mystery completely. I plop down in my chair and try to make out whats on my screen. Luckily I aced typing so I know how to type without looking. I start to hack into my contact servers. It takes several tries but about three hours later I got my contacts working. The only problem is the contacts are only connected to the server for the rest of the day until my account is deleted from the system, but that's another problem.

I decide to take it easy, and organize my room. I find some cloths of the previous owner, and I start to clean off the floor. When I've got most of the pieces picked up the motion sensor goes off.

"Are you kidding me?" I say as I look at the screen. There are two men. One has scars all over his face and the other is missing an eye.

"Here we go," I say grabbing some knives from the kitchen, and I head down the stairs.

+++

"Can I help you?" I ask crossing my arms with a glare.

"Ssim uoy deen ota emoc htiwa sua," the scar faced one says.

So I'm not fluent in Drawkcabian, but I think he said something about me coming with them.

"Fat chance. That is not going to happen." I say then realize they don't speak English, and say, "Taht sia ton gniog ota neppah!"

"Ewa tnod tnaw ota truh uoy, tub ewa lliw fia flah ota," the eye patch guy said.

"Alright listen Patchy I am not going with you so get out of here now before I hurt you," I demand. "Here let me put it in a language you understand. Teg tuo foa ereh."

Then they step forward. If only they knew that I'm really paranoid, and set traps everywhere. A moment later rocks fall on their heads. One of them collapses, and the other starts to drag him away.

"Ewa lliw eba kcab," scar face says mean something like "We will be back."

"Good luck with that," I say and wave good bye. Once they're out of sight I barricade the door, and dart up the stairs back to my room.

Instead of exploring the building more I decide to watch the camera feed. Even though it looks like it is early afternoon it feels like it's been ages. The day has gone so slow I just want it to be over.

Then, just when I didn't think that the day could get any worse that stupid alert system goes off.

"Are you kidding me?" I say out loud. Except this time the person is at the back on the fire escape.

I rush to the window. A boy stands out side about to knock on the window. When he sees me he flashes a beautiful smile. Why does he have to look so perfect?

I roll up the window and say, " Alright look, I don't know if I look like a damsel in distress, but I'm not. And I do not need some handsome, charming guy to come save me. Okay? I'm just fine. So good bye."

He looks at me his green eyes sparkling, and says, "Well you certainly don't look like a damsel in distress. They are frail and whiny. You however are a strong, beautiful warrior." He smiles and looks at me then continues, "So can I come in? There is something we need to discuss."

I roll my eyes and step away from the window. He slides in with ease. When he stands I actually get a good look at him. He's tall, but not too tall. His green eyes seem to sparkle, and he has disheveled brown hair. He has flawless skin that complements his features. Oh and he's very muscular.

"Who are you?" I ask after a moment.

"Oh I'm Sebastian," he says extending his hand.

"I'm Veronica," I say as I slide my hand into his. Our hands move up and down while we look into each others eyes. His hands are soft and delicate. STOP FALLING FOR HIM! My brain yells.

"Oh um," he says releasing my hand after we stand there for a while.

"You said we needed to discuss something?" I ask.

" Yes. You need to come with me to the Compound." He says in a serious voice.

"Oh my gosh another one. This is the second time today." I demand, "Except you are so much more handsome than the other guys who were super creepy."

"You are in serious danger! And- wait did you say I was handsome?" He asks with a smirk.

"Um ya. Have you looked in the mirror?" I ask.

"Well your very beautiful," he says and his eyes dart away, "but anyways we need to get out of here before they come back. Tell me what happened."

"Two Drakcabians came and told me I had to come with them, but that wasn't going to happen so I attacked." I explain.

"You speak Drakcabian?" He ask surprised.

"Ya I had a lot of free time in school, and my best friend was from Drakcabia so I picked up the language," I say casually.

"Wow that's impressive," he replies and looks at me with admire in his eyes. I look down and blush. Then he continues, "But you really need to come with me."

"Excuse me? Why in the world do you think I would go with you?" I demand.

"It's not safe here. You are in danger," he says, eyes pleading.

"Do you have glasses?" I ask.

"What?" He asks.

"Glasses. You know things that help you see," I say pointing to my eyes.

"I know what they are but, why do you need them?" He asks.

"Well my contacts go out at midnight, because my account expires. Anyways do you have them or not?" I demand.

"Yes," he says smiling extending his hand for me to take.

I take it, roll my eyes, and say, "Alright fine."

Then the ground starts shaking, and the building starts to explode.