Veronica Chapter 38

Got to admit I am feeling pretty good after my speech, and even better after his speech, but it's up to the others to decide. I hold my breath as we stand there waiting for a reply. My insides are an earthquake, shaking more with every second. I grip Sebastian's hand, clutching it to keep me standing. He squeezes my hand back providing me with a little more strength, calming the shakiness inside of me helping the earthquake to subside.

"Well, I'm in," Em says coming to stand next to me putting a hand on my shoulder. "Bruce?"

He sucks in a deep breath and we stand there in silence waiting for him to reply. Then, after what felt like an eternity of waiting, he answers, "Fine, but if we do this we need a solid plan not one that will definitely get us killed."

"Glad we're in agreement," I say letting out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. "I'll get started."

"Started on what exactly?" Bruce asks.

"You'll see," Sebastian says shooting me a beautiful smile, making my heart skip a beat or maybe that's my nerves, it's a little hard to tell at the moment.

I walk over to the table and pull out my laptop getting to work. It takes me a while to find an opening, but once I'm in it doesn't take me long to find what I need. I start by looking at mission reports. Mission Fire Starter was the first one I saw with any real clue at what they're plan is. Apparently ten years ago the an agent, who I assume is the Director was sent in undercover to gain info. The next file I found was about a year after that. A scientist named Vito Nesbitt was taken from a Bio-hazard laboratory to a facility named the Camp as part of the Millennium Project. There is reference to this project in a few other reports, only in getting supplies or equipment, nothing too specific that will give me any real clue. I read through dozens of reports very few even give a hint to any of the previous files, but there's just something deep inside me telling me that this Millennium Project, what ever it may be, is what has been put into action.

I search a couple more hours looking for any implication of a clue, but I find nothing significant. I click on, what's probably the hundredth file I've looked at so far, when Sebastian comes over. He pulls out the chair from the table, and takes a seat next to me.

"How's it going?" He asks taking my hand giving it a gentle squeeze, sending a flutter into my heart.

"I've been through dozens of files, and barely any have given any indication of the Millennium Project," I say with a sigh shutting out the rush that happens when our hands touch.

"The what?" He asks.

"The Millennium Project, from what I've gathered it is the "project of the future. I think has something to due with genetically engineering soldiers into something as they say greater, I'm not really sure it's all a bunch of we are going to change the future crap," I explain, pulling my hand away and rubbing my eyes.

"Has there been any indication of where this is taking place?"He questions.

"Only a reference to a place called the camp, but I have no clue where that is. It could be anywhere, it could be in space for all I know," I say.

"Well keep searching," he says, "There's got to be something somewhere."

"I'll keep looking," I say returning my gaze to the computer.

"Hey, we'll find it," he assures taking one of my hands in his. "If only we could see from the sky, then maybe we could find it easier."

"Wait," I say, "I could hack into the Guards satellites. Then maybe we could see where all the shipments were going to. Or better yet I could look at there shipment records there might be an address."

"Could that work?" He asks, "Because I was kidding."

"It might," I reply, starting the hack. It doesn't take me long to find there shipment logs. I scan through dozens of logs search for any implication of this project. Then, there it is dremasteel, an object that was shipped to the camp. I click on the log and look at the address. "No way," I whisper. "No way," I say louder this time.

"What? What is it? Did you find it?" Sebastian asks leaning forward to look at the screen.

"Oh I found it," I say my eyes fixed on the screen.

"Well, where is it?" He asks confusion and curiosity coating his voice, "Is it near by?"

"Those are not the important questions, the important questions are What the heck? and How? and What?" I say rereading the address trying to comprehend where it is more specifically how it can be there.

"Veronica, where exactly is it? You are starting to worry me a little bit," he asks squeezing my hand, either for comfort or to snap me out of my haze I don't know I'm to engulfed by these words.

"That's the problem if you want to call it that. The place we are looking for is somewhere we know well more specifically you, a place you know well. The Camp has another name," I say still in shock of what I've read.

"And it is?" Sebastian questions, gripping my hand squeezing the life out of it. His eyes full of worry.

"The compound," I say letting those two little words slip out and with them the hope that I read it wrong.

"What?" He says letting go of my hand.

"The Camp is the Compound," I explain.

"I- I- I don't..." he trails off trying to comprehend the words that I have just spoken. His eyes fixed on the table.

"Sebastian," I say grabbing his face in my hands and turning it towards me, "We have to go there. We have to go back to the compound."