Veronica Chapter 21

After that night with Sebastian, he has completely frozen up. Ever since then he has barely spoken to me outside of training. Even in training he's like a stone. He used to laugh and joke with me, but now he doesn't even smile.

I keep thinking back to that night. What did I do to make him so repulsed by me? Why does he look like he's in pain when he looks at me?

I guess he didn't mean the promise he made. He's just another person who's gone.  I should be used to it by now, but still I thought he cared like I cared.

I need to move on. I told myself not to fall for him, but me being my stupid self, didn't listen. That's what I get for going with my heart instead of my head, but not anymore. I'm done with Sebastian or at least caring about him.

I get ready like always. I throw my hair up into a high ponytail. I'm outfitted in a black tank top, black athletic leggings, and gray tennis shoes. This is my standard training outfit.

I open my door, and start to walk towards the cafeteria and eat alone. That's another thing we used to do together, eat breakfast. However, today he's standing at the end of the hallway.

My heart flutters for a second, in the hopes that the other Sebastian is back, my Sebastian. Only when I see the look on his face as he glances my way, I know he isn't. He stands there in jeans, a gray t-shirt, and a black leather jacket.

"Go change," he says neutrally, "You have your first mission today."

"Really?" I ask in wonderment.

"Really," he replies.

"What should I wear?" I ask.

"Jeans and a nice shirt," he answers robotically.

I nod, and dash back to my room. I grab a blue short sleeve shirt that contrasts from my standard grays and blacks, black jeans, and combat boots. I leave my hair as it is though.

I quickly return to Sebastian who is still leaning against the wall. He avoids looking at me as he starts toward the jet. They use the jet for longer distance missions, and use the portal thing for closer range missions.

The walk down there is silent as always.   Sebastian keeps his eyes forward the whole way down. I try to do the same, but I can't help but cast a sideways glance his way every once in a while.

We reach the aircraft in a matter of minutes. I try not to trip or doing anything embarrassing as we climb in. I take the seat between Sebastian and another agent I don't know. Sebastian turns and talks to the agent on the other side of him.

I glance over to the unknown agent to my right. He isn't talking with anyone. So I try to make conversation.

"Hi," I say, "I'm Veronica."

"Hello, I'm Paxton," he says. He looks close to my age, maybe a little older. He has blonde hair, brown eyes, and softer facial features.

"It's nice to meet you," I say.

"You as well," he replies, "To be honest this is my second mission ever so I'm a little nervous."

"Well, this is my first mission ever. So I know how you feel," I say with a smile.

He lets out a sigh and says, "I'm glad I'm not the only one."

"So do you know what the mission is?" I ask.

"You don't know?" He asked shocked.

"No, I wasn't informed," I say uncomfortably.

"Okay. Well, two of our agents have been murdered, but their little girl survived, so we are going to get her and investigate," he says. "I'm part of the CSI unit."