Veronica Chapter 35

We hit the frigid water with a thud. The water is like a smack in the face. I immediately swim up to the top, thankful that my parents made me take swimming lessons back when they were offered. I break through the surface gasping for air. Once I collect my bearings I scan the water for Sebastian, but he isn't there.

"Sebastian," I scream. "Sebastian." No matter how much I call he isn't there. Then it hits me, he can't swim. Without hesitation I dive back into the water in search of him. I spot his parachute floating up and I swim in his direction willing myself to go faster. When I reach him I do my best to pull him to the surface.

The moment we break through we both gasp for air. I guide him towards the faint line that indicates the shore. It takes long tiring minutes before we reach the shore that leads to endless trees.

"You can't swim?" I demand after several gulps of air on the beach.

"You can?" He asks incredulously between gasps.

"I took lessons as a kid," I say.

"What kid takes swimming lessons?" He asks.

"What super spy doesn't know how to swim?" I ask.

He looks at me from his bent over position and replies, "Fair point."

I let out a small chuckle as I sit up, "So what are we going to do?"

"Well, luckily your very ingenious super agent managed to grab a compass and map," he says with a smile.

"Okay, first of all it's super spy, not super agent. Second, was your map paper," I ask.

"Yeah why," he asks confused.

"Paper and water do not mix well, super spy," I say shaking my head. I see the understanding of my words cross his face, and he pulls out a very soggy map from his pocket. How it managed to stay in it when we fell, I have no idea.

It takes him a moment to think before he says, "Well luckily, I saw the direction we were heading so we can use the compass."

"Yeah and where are we going to go," I ask crossing my arms.

"I hadn't quite gotten that far in my plan," he replies looking down, "but we can at least find an abandon town and make a plan there."

"Alright, then which way?" I ask.

He looks down at the compass for a long moment then answers, "North, I think."

"You think?" I question.

"Well, we'll see when we get there," he replies starting off in the direction that he thinks is right.

"Or when we are lost in the middle of the woods with no food," I mutter following behind.

"Oh come on," he says turning to face me, "Think positive."

"Okay," I reply, "I'm positive this won't end well."

"I'm gonna admit that that isn't the kind of positive I was talking about," he replies.

"What ever super spy let's just get to where you think we will go," I say with a little bit of sarcasm.

"I should have never added the think," he reprimands.

"You think," I say with a smile.

He then burst out laughing, "I like how after a life and death situation you can still make jokes."

"Don't you mean you think that you like how after a life and death situation I can still make jokes," I ask with mock seriousness.

"You're hilarious," he answers shaking his head, but there is a smile on his face.

"I know," I reply with a shrug, "It's a gift. Now quit getting off topic we need to get to where you think we will end up."

At this he rolls his eyes, and we start to pick up our pace as we trudge through endless woods. It takes hours before we finally see something that my lead to a way out. A river.

"A river?" I ask.

"Well, yeah," Sebastian says, "Cities used to use rivers as a water source." I raise my eyebrows. "I think."

I shake my head, "We're doomed."

"Hey I don't see you contributing any useful information that might save us," he says.

"That is because we are in the middle of no where," I say through gritted teeth.

"Well, everywhere is somewhere," he says optimistically, and keeps walking along side the river.

"No it isn't," I reply.

"What did I say about positive?" He asks. I shoot him a look, "You know what never mind."

"That's what I thought," I reply with a smile. We walk for the next hour in silence. "Do you think that we are even close."

"Yeah we're almost there," he says calmly.

"Almost where?" I ask stopping. "It's almost dark, who knows what's in these woods, and we don't even know where we're going to."

He steps towards me and takes my hands in his, "We don't have any other option. We just have to have hope."

I nod then say, "I'm scared, Sebastian."

"I know, me too, but we got to stick together," he says pulling me into a hug. I nod into him, and soak in this moment of peace. He pulls away and takes my hand, "Come on, let's keep going."

I nod, and we walk together hand in hand for a while before I finally say, "We need sleep. We won't be able to keep going without it."

"You're right, but we can't sleep down here. Let's go up into a tree to keep away from dangerous creatures," he agrees and he starts to climb a tree.

We climb a tree that has hopefully sturdy limbs that can hold our weight. I settle on the branch right above Sebastian and use my jacket to tie myself to the branch, so hopefully I won't fall. Even though I'm in a tree, my tiredness wins out and I am out like a light. I don't dream of anything, I just sleep.

I wake to the soft glow of the morning sun. It streams through the branches and leaves of the tree. I scan the horizon taking in the warmth that the sun provides. Then I see it, a reflection. My eyes dart back to it, and I see glass, glass on a building.

"Sebastian," I holler, but there is no reply. I look down, but he's not there.