Chapter 2 - Same mistake

“So what do you think?” Shawn asks when he sees Neriah walk out of the apartment with a broad smile on her face.

They had both checked out the apartment and when Cecilia, his mother’s friend and owner of the place, came by, they both discussed while Shawn waited outside. It’s been close to fifteen minutes since the two women had talked.

“It’s okay, I like it!” she squeals and hugs him, “and according to Cecilia I can move in if I have six months’ payment down.” She couldn’t have been happier to say those words.

“That’s great news then?” He asks as he stared into her eyes.

She may not have known Shawn for so long, but he’s helped her out, and she’s grateful for that. “Yes. Thank you, Shawn, you’re a lifesaver.” She says as they begin to walk on.

His smile dies down as he mutters, “If only that were true.”

Neriah doesn’t need to think twice to know what he’s referring to because she’d heard him talk about his mom being in the hospital when Cainan fired him in the morning. How cold that man was to ignore the reasonable excuse presented to him.

“How is she?” She asks, looking up at him, and she sees his face drop.

He sighs, “Hanging on.”

“That’s good though, right?”

He takes a deep laboured breath, “She doesn’t see the point of holding on and according to her, she’s becoming more of a burden than she’s ever wanted to be. I had to tell her to keep the faith before leaving this morning.”

Neriah is quiet for a while before blurting out the obvious, “That was why you were late.”

He silently nods, “I can’t tell her I got fired, it’ll crush her.”

“What are you going to tell her?” Her brow raises, “Lying would only last for a while.”

And she understands first-hand what lying is like. Every time her family from home calls, she tells them she’s doing alright even though she knows that’s so far from the truth. She couldn’t tell them she wasn’t alright, and that all wasn’t going well with her because she knew that would only make them worry and she didn’t want that.

“It’ll be long enough for me to find another job.”

“I believe you’ll find a good job soon.” She pats his shoulder as she reassuringly says this.

***

“You’re thinking,” Clara quietly points out, her fingers lightly drumming on Cainan’s chest as she stares at Cainan, whose eyes fixed on the ceiling in deep concentration. Having known him for a long time, she knows he only looks this way when something is bothering him. She’s seen this look when she first walked in an hour ago and this is the first time sex didn’t help improve his mood.

He shakes his head, but he knows she knows better. “What’s wrong? Someone giving you a hard time at work?” She prob, becoming more interested than she should be.

He turns so his eyes fixated on hers, “Even if they are, there’s really nothing you can do because the last time I checked, you are married and it’s not to me.”

She groans and pulls the bedsheets up with her as she sits down, “Cainan, please tell me you’re not going back to point fingers at my marriage again.”

He shrugs and sits down as well. “I’ve never been a liar, won’t start now. You left me and married Hugo and now you’re cheating on him with me and don’t forget that I also have a girlfriend.”