Chapter 4 - A fool

One month later------

“There’s an invitation for us,” Samantha announces as she makes her way toward the bedroom. “The maid just brought it in,” she further adds.

Cainan sits up in bed and turns to her, running his face. “Who is it from?”

He can’t remember any of his closest friends having any party today. He had no such notification on his calendar.

“From the Attah family.” She turns the card around and reads out the name on it.

Hearing the name unpleasantly makes his stomach curl. “What’s the event for?” He lowly groans out.

She opens the envelope and reads the message on it, “It’s the fifth wedding anniversary of Mr Hugo Attah and his wife Clara Hugo and they officially invited us.”

Five years ago today, Clara married the asshole named Hugo and that day and the weeks that followed were the darkest times of Cainan’s life and though it’s been five years since then, it hasn’t healed the wound left by Clara's betrayal. The entire world knew he and Clara were soulmates and he had never attended their anniversary before. First, because it hurt like hell to watch the woman of your dreams in another man’s arms and now it is still the pain of seeing the woman of your dreams in another man’s hand and being reminded that she’ll never be yours. So being invited is like rubbing insult to injury, whether it was Hugo’s idea or Clara’s.

Screw both of them. They deserve each other.

“We are not going,” Cainan concludes and gets up from the bed and walks towards the bathroom to take a piss.

“Why not?” Samantha demands, following behind Cainan.

Cainan picks the towel from the stall, wrapping the towel around himself. “No reason, I’ve got better things to do than go to some boring anniversary.” He enters the bathroom and turns on the shower.

“It’s not some boring anniversary, it’s the anniversary of a close friend and I want to go.” She grumbles stubbornly.

Cainan's ears ring from hearing Samantha refer to the Attahs as close friends. Since when did they become close friends and how come he’s only finding out now?

He sticks his foam-covered head through the door, “Then you go!” He says before slamming the door furiously.

“What’s wrong with you?!” She pauses a little, “you know what? We talk about this when you come out.”

Cainan sighs in the bathroom, knowing where exactly the conversion is heading, but he silently hopes it doesn’t.

When he’s done bathing, he walks into the bedroom to dry his body but as he sees Samantha still seated on the bed; he figured she’s still waiting for the talk about why they weren’t going.

“I can’t go alone, so please tell me why you don’t want to go?”

“I need to go to work, okay? It’s a big day today. Two of our investors are coming in from the United States.” He dries himself and returns the towel to the handover beside the bathroom door before walking to the wardrobe to pick out his clothes.

“The party isn’t this morning or afternoon. It starts at eight?” She was really pushing it.

“I’ll be tired Samantha, I’d like to rest after work.”

She gets up in a quick instance that takes Cainan by surprise. “I think it is more than resting. I think you don’t want to go and there’s a reason. Is it Hugo? Are you still in love with Clara? Is that it?”