Chapter 6 - Monster

“I don’t want to be here,” Cainan grumbles, holding onto Samantha’s hand as they stroll through the guests present at the party. Some faces are familiar and some aren’t, but they all seem to have one thing in common, they are all old, just like Hugo.

Everyone here would probably be dead in ten years, including Hugo, and if wishes came true, Hugo’s ten years would be tonight. He knew that is a horrible thing to wish on someone but he can’t help it.

A few grandpas here had young ladies in their arms, and he wondered which poor bastards they had snatched them from. He would bet all his money that most of these women weren't here because they loved these men. Their riches probably enticed them.

Clara is a thirty-five-year-old woman married to a sixty-six-year-old man and if that doesn’t irk Cainan’s skin, nothing else would. It’s probably obvious to the world, and him that she married him for his money, but he knows he wouldn’t have complained if she had waited and married him for his own money.

“Well, we are showing support. Besides, don’t you want them to come one day for our wedding anniversary party?” Samantha’s voice pulls him out of his thoughts.

Cainan doesn’t answer. No, he acts like he didn’t hear what she just said from the much noise in the hall. Samantha is a brilliant woman, he knows that, but she’s just not the type he’d ever want to settle down with. It might sound selfish, but making a home with her just isn’t part of the future he sees. She will not satisfy him and will definitely cheat and she will kill him when she finds out. None of them wants that.

‘You saw a future with Clara, always have, look where that has brought you.’ His mind scolds him.

“Hey, I’m glad you could make it,” Hugo says joyfully, walking to where Cainan and Samantha now are.

“She convinced me to come. By the way, meet my girlfriend Samantha, apparently, she is a friend of Clara.” She introduces trying to avoid Clara’s eyes as much as he can.

They exchange handshakes, “Very nice to meet you, sir.”

“You too, Sam,” he says before turning to Cainan. “well I’m glad you came, son.”

Cainan cracks up a little. He does not mean it being loud, but he can’t help it. “Did you hear what he just called me? Son! Goddamn, he’s right, he’s old enough to be my father, and that’s a fact.”

Clara presses her lips together and tries not to show any resentment towards Cainan’s childish attitude.

“Well, thanks again for coming. I hope one day you find a woman who will love you and treat you right, just like Clara does me.” Hugo smiles, causing wrinkles to settle on the side of his face.

Cainan would have made another sarcastic reply, but Hugo’s head dips and he takes Clara’s lips between his, deeply and passionately kissing her in their presence.

Cainan's teeth clench and as he sees Clara move in discomfort and he looks away immediately for the fear of going between them and pulling them apart and punching him in the face.

Hugo pulls away and wraps his arms around Clara’s waist possessively. “Have fun, kids,” he says with a twisted smile before walking away.

Cainan follows both of them with a glare, wishing the old man would drop dead in that instance because that is the only thing he can do at this party.

“He’s such a great husband!” Samantha silently squeals, but it’s loud enough for Cainan to hear.

He rolls his eyes before he can help it. “What, you’re planning on marrying him too?” If she wants to, he will even try to stop her.