Chapter 16 - Losing

A week later, Cainan visits the company. He hadn’t come to work in the last week and he wanted to know how things have been in his absence. He admits he misses work, but he knows he needs this time off as he wouldn’t function properly at work if he was to have turned up this past week.

Seth, the manager and the frontman, who has been in charge of running the affairs of the company in his absence, is busy in his office when Cainan walks in and immediately he sees him. He gets up from his seat and walks toward him.

“Mr Inferno,” he smiles even as he walks towards him and extends his hand for a shake, “So nice for you to come. Are you done with your relief break?”

Cainan receives his hand and shakes it, “I’m close to it, I’ll keep you posted and you’ll be the first to know when I’m coming back, but for now, nice work with the company, I’ve heard some pretty great things from mom and others.”

“I’m flattered, but thanks.” Death has been diligent and upfront with his post as an acting Chief executive officer and work has run smoothly as if Cainan was present even though he wasn’t.

“You’re welcome.” he lets his hand go and stuffs them into his pockets. “What about Mr Ola? Did he turn up for work?” He curiously inquired.

“He did. He’s in his office. Should I dial him over?” Seth asks, already about to take a step.

Cainan shakes his head, “No, I’ll meet him myself.” With that, he sees himself out of the room. He makes his way over to Shawn’s office and just as Seth said, he was in his office, working on his computer.

As soon as Shawn sees Cainan, he gets up from his seat, nervousness and fear written all over him, a look Cainan doesn’t seem to like so well. “Good morning, Mr Inferno,” his voice is a little rough and a little lower than usual, and Cainan wonders if he’s okay.

“Morning, Mr Ola, how’s everything going with you?” He steps further into the office, stopping only when he stood before the desk. 

“Good, sir,” he replies, although Cainan sees the opposite.

The both of them were silent for a while with none of them wanting to refer to the happenings of last week, although they both knew they had to if they expect to have an awkward free conversion. Biting around and ignoring the obvious will help no one.

Cainan grinds his teeth even as his jaw tightens, “I’m sorry about what happened last week, Shawn, I crossed a line and yes I’ve always wanted to end what you two had but it wasn’t because I wanted to hurt you, it was because I wanted to hurt her. I realised you loved her and would never leave her, and I had to let it go. I never planned to fall in love with Neriah. It was never part, nor was it a grand plan of mine! Because the last thing I want is having a complicated love life again.” His voice thickens when he says the word again, and Shawn knows what he means.

“I know, and I’m sorry for what I did and said last week. A lot of them were hurtful and mean. I was angry and insecure and childish and I’m sorry.” He says with honesty in his voice.

Cainan smiles genuinely and nods for an accepted apology, “So we are good?”

Shawn smiles as well and nods, “Yeah we are.”

“Good,” he walks away.

“Someone came looking for you last week, some Doctor Mike? He said it was important,” Shawn speaks up, making Cainan pause in his movement.

Cainan’s face goes pale in an instant and he turns to Shawn to ask, “That all he said?”

“Yeah, why? Something wrong?”