Chapter 7 - Rise up

“Neriah?” Shawn calls stepping into the bathroom where Cainan just left. It is quiet as the graveyard and his heart feels as though about to explode. He sees Neriah by the basin washing her hands. “Neriah?” He calls again and this time she looks up at him.

“Shawn, hey,” she warmly smiles at him as she pulls the tissue and wipes her hands before tossing it into the dustbin.

“What’s going on and why the hell is Cainan leaving the ladies’ bathroom.” Shawn's tone is hard and demanding answer.

“I got you your job back?” There’s no victory in her words and for someone who just did something good, she doesn’t look good and this draws him in weirdly.

The news is indeed good news, but stupidity would rejoice before knowing how the good news came about.

He stares at her for an unending moment before requesting, “Can I at least ask how you could do that? The Cainan I know does not negotiate or change his mind Neriah, what did he ask for in return?”

“Nothing,” she answers with a mild shrug.

His brows shoot up, “Nothing?”

“Yes,” she exhales.

“Don’t lie to me, please.” He pleads, stepping closer to her.

She bites her lower lips slowly and her head drops, “He didn’t ask for anything in return, he kissed me.”

Shawn’s teeth clench, and she sees his hands balling into a fist. “And you call that nothing? Did you like it or something?!” He demands furiously.

“No!” she exclaims. “Why would you ever say that? I slapped him for kissing me, Shawn, so no, I didn’t like it.”

He scoffs in disbelief; not knowing where to start in controlling his anger. “He kissed you and gave me back my job. What other way is there to ask for payment from someone?” He asks with a humourless tone of voice. He feels trapped between being happy for getting his job and being sad and angry that Cainan thinks he can get what he wants with no one daring to raise a voice.

Neriah speaks, and he snaps back into reality. “I was going to threaten him into giving you your job and leaving me alone.”

“Threaten him, with what?” He raises a brow.

Neriah hesitates for a moment. “What?” Shawn asks as he sees her dilemma.

“I don’t know, telling you the truth might put the both of us in danger, but I have no choice and I can’t bear lying anymore.”

He steps closer to her, “Then tell me, remember we are in this together.”

“He’s having an affair with Clara.” She quickly reveals before she can change her mind.

“His married ex-girlfriend?”

She nods. “Apparently, they’ve been screwing for the past few years. Although she has also been married, they have also ended things, but Cainan is having a hard time letting go. When I threatened him, he promised to kill both of us if anyone ever found out about it.”

“All the years I’ve worked for him, there’s one thing I know, you don’t threaten Cainan with anything or he’ll lash back.”

“We should go home.” She suggests, already exhausted by everything that has happened so far.

There’s a look of disappointment on his face, “That means we accomplished nothing tonight then because he’s still not going to get off your back.”

She cracks up a smile, “You got your job back.”

“About that,” he storms out of the bathroom, and Neriah follows him behind.